A quantum system under constant observation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of measurement in quantum mechanics and how it affects the state of a system. The quantum Zeno effect is mentioned as a way to keep a system in an unstable state by constantly observing it. The technical definition of "observe" in quantum mechanics is clarified and it is explained that the interaction with the surrounding environment is what determines whether a system is being measured or not. The importance of considering factors such as the strength of the interaction and the Hamiltonian in understanding a situation is emphasized.
nashed
To start off I'd like to apologize ahead of time for the grammatical errors and lack of eloquence that are sure to follow, it's the middle of the night and my mind is wandering but my cognitive capacity to express my self is pretty low at this time.

With that out of the way, I'd like to ask about something which has been bothering me for quite a time now, I finished my introductory QM course about a month ago and one of the postulates that was mentioned was that upon measurement the state of the system will change/collapse/whatever you'd like to call it to the state corresponding to the measurement, now let's look for example at a harmonic oscillator which is something I've observed in labs ( the classical experiment any how), the thing is that for the whole length of the experiment I had my eyes on the oscillator and classically that's fine, but with QM it seems like it should be collapsing all the time while trying to evolve in time in accordance with the solution for Schrodinger's equation, so can anyone shed light on how am I supposed to understand this situation?

To add to the above, I'm aware of the correspondence principle and have seen that for large energies the probability distribution starts to look like the classical distribution, but again this solution fails to take into consideration that the system is under constant observation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say you have a quantum harmonic oscillator with one degree of freedom called ##x##. Then you measure ##x## at some high accuracy (with maximum error some small quantity ##\Delta x##) and do that repeatedly with a very short time interval ##\Delta t## between the measurements. What happens when you decrease both ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta t## such that they approach zero? The more accurate the measurement of ##x## becomes the less accurate your knowledge of the momentum ##p_x## becomes, and the longer distance the particle can move in the time interval ##\Delta t##. Therefore you can't get a situation where you have real time knowledge of the value of ##x##. This is how I understand it, anyway.

nashed said:
for the whole length of the experiment I had my eyes on the oscillator and classically that's fine, but with QM it seems like it should be collapsing all the time while trying to evolve in time in accordance with the solution for Schrodinger's equation, so can anyone shed light on how am I supposed to understand this situation?

You've confused the lay meaning of "observe" with the technical meaning in quantum mechanics. Pointing your face towards a quantum system doesn't affect whether or not it's being measured. What matters is if the system interacted with the surrounding environment in a thermodynamically irreversible way or not.

To understand the situation you just do the math. How strong is the interaction with the outside? How long until we stop protecting the system? What's the Hamiltonian?

Keeping all of that in mind... if you do set up a situation where a quantum system is being measured again and again at a high rate, you'll find that it tends to stay in the same state. Even against forces that would normally cause it to evolve. See: Quantum Zeno Effect. It's basically the same thing as putting a diagonal polarizer between two orthogonal polarizers to allow some of the light through, but taken to the limit.

I'd say it's simply the coupling of the system with the measurement device. There's nothing myterious about it, although with fascinating "very quantum" properties, like keeping a system in an unstable state for very long (i.e., much longer than the lifetime of the state) by "observing" it. As mentioned in previous postings, this is then known the "quantum Zeno effect" to make it even more exciting :-).

1. What is a quantum system?

A quantum system is a physical system that exhibits quantum mechanical behavior, meaning it follows the laws of quantum mechanics. This can include subatomic particles, atoms, molecules, and other microscopic particles.

2. What does it mean for a quantum system to be under constant observation?

Constant observation of a quantum system refers to the continuous measurement or monitoring of its state. This can be done through various techniques such as scattering photons off the system or using sensitive detectors to measure its properties.

3. How does constant observation affect a quantum system?

Constant observation can cause changes in the quantum system's behavior, known as the measurement problem. This is because the act of measurement itself can influence the system's state, making it difficult to accurately predict its behavior.

4. What are some practical applications of studying a quantum system under constant observation?

Studying quantum systems under constant observation can help scientists better understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and how they apply to larger systems. This knowledge can also be applied to various technologies, such as quantum computing and cryptography.

5. Are there any limitations to studying a quantum system under constant observation?

Constant observation can be challenging to maintain as it requires precise and delicate equipment. Additionally, the act of measurement can alter the system's state, making it difficult to obtain accurate and consistent results. The uncertainty principle also limits our ability to simultaneously observe multiple properties of a quantum system with high precision.