Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about Green's function

1. Jan 23, 2015 #1
    There is a second order nonhomogeneous equation of motion with nonzero initial condition given at ##t=-\infty##:
    ##D^2 y(x)=f(x)## with ##y(-\infty)=e^{-i x}##
    where I have used the shorthand notation ##D^2## for the full differential operator. Also I have the two solutions ##y_1(x)## and ##y_2(x)## to the homogeneous equation with ##y_1(x \to -\infty) \approx e^{-ix}## and ##y_2(x \to -\infty) \approx e^{ix}##. So how do I construct the particular solution using ##y_1(x)## and ##y_2(x)##?

I know Green's function can be constructed using the two homogeneous solutions. So the naive solution I got is
    ##y(x)=y_1(x)+\int^x_{-\infty} dx' G(x,x')f(x')## with
    ##G(x,x')=\frac{y_1(x)y_2(x')-y_2(x)y_1(x')}{W(y_2(x'),y_1(x'))}##.

Is it wrong? since I get some ridiculous result (divergence) when I use this solution to do calculation, because the lower bound is ##-\infty##.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2015 #2
    Where are you getting this out of curiosity? There are other ways to obtain the Green's function, at least.

4. Jan 26, 2015 #3
    Actually I obtained this expression from the approach of variation of parameters. It plays the role of Green's function in this case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook