A question about notation in PDE

In summary, the conversation is about a paper that analyses a second order quasilinear partial differential inequality. The paper deals with real valued functions of n real variables and the inequality involves constants B and epsilon. The question is about what the symbol ##\Delta## represents, and it is explained to be the Laplacian operator. Another question is asked about ##\mathbb{C}^{\alpha}##, and the suggestion is made to look up "Holder space" on Wikipedia. The person concludes by saying that the paper is too advanced for them.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
I'm reading through one of my profs papers, or starting. Actually it's 2 of my old profs, one I had for linear and one I had for diff eq. My question is in Section 1 of this paper.

"We begin with an analysis of a second order quasilinear partial dif-ferential inequality for real valued functions of n real variables,
##\Delta u - B|u|^{\epsilon} \geq 0##"
where B and epsilon are constants, and B> 0 ; 0<epsilon<1

What does the delta represent? Is it something to the effect of ##\sum_n \partial_{x_i}##? Similar to Del? If not what does this mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
-.-
Ok, another question, not too much farther down. What does ##\mathbb{C}^{\alpha}## where alpha is between 0 and 1 imply?
Starting to think this paper may be over my head, especially if we're dealing with partial complex dimensions.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
What does the delta represent?
Δ is the Laplacian operator.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
What does Cα\mathbb{C}^{\alpha} where alpha is between 0 and 1 imply?
Look up "Holder space" on Wikipedia.

And that's about all the help I can offer. This paper is way over my head.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
Thanks

1. What is PDE notation?

PDE notation refers to the symbols and mathematical expressions used to represent partial differential equations (PDEs). It includes variables, symbols for derivatives, and operators such as Laplacian and gradient.

2. How do I read PDE notation?

PDE notation follows standard mathematical conventions, where variables are represented by letters (e.g. x, y, z) and derivatives are denoted with symbols such as ∂ (partial derivative) or d (total derivative). The order of the derivatives is indicated by subscripts (e.g. ∂2u/∂x2).

3. What are the common symbols used in PDE notation?

Some common symbols used in PDE notation include ∂ (partial derivative), ∇ (nabla or gradient), and Δ (Laplacian). Other symbols may be used to represent specific operators or functions, depending on the PDE being studied.

4. Can PDE notation vary between different PDEs?

Yes, PDE notation can vary between different PDEs, as different equations may have different variables, operators, or functions involved. It is important to carefully read and understand the notation used in a specific PDE problem to solve it accurately.

5. Are there any resources for learning PDE notation?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning PDE notation, including textbooks, online courses, and tutorial videos. It is also helpful to practice solving PDE problems to become familiar with the notation in a practical setting.