A question about rules of multiplication

logicgate
TL;DR Summary
Why is it that x times yz equals xyz and not xyxz ?
This might sound like a stupid question but I am just wondering why is it that x times yz equals xyz and not xyxz ? Why don't we distribute multiplication in this case ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Think back to the simplest meaning or way to understand Multiplication. Maybe try a known numbers simple example.

Why is it that 3 times 7*8 equals 3*7*8 and is not 3*7*3*8 ?

You can first show 7+7+7+7+7+7+7+7 and find that this is 56.
(Same thing can be expressed as 8+8+8+8+8+8+8.)

You can now show 3*56 to be 56+56+56 (excuse me if I not stayed in the same form.) And what is this resulting number value? 168.

You can also choose to show that example graphically or visually.

That should help!

---
small edit done

Here is multiplication in real life:

1. I lay down 8 blocks in a row.
  2. I want to multiply that by 7, so I copy step 1 six more times, making a total of 7 columns of 8-block rows.
  3. I want to multiply that by 3, so I copy step 1 and 2 twice more, making the 7x8 matrix a total of 3 times, stacked.

Why would I multiply by 3 again?

Likes logicgate
logicgate said:
TL;DR Summary: Why is it that x times yz equals xyz and not xyxz ?

This might sound like a stupid question but I am just wondering why is it that x times yz equals xyz and not xyxz ? Why don't we distribute multiplication in this case ?
Trying to "distribute" multiplication over multiplication would never stop. It is not like distributing multiplication over addition.
If x times yz = xyxz, then why stop there? Wouldn't x distribute again to give xyxxxz? And again to give xyxxxxxxxz? etc. And there should be similar distribution from the right by z. So now we could say that xyxxxxxxxz = xzyzxzxzxzxzxzxzxz, and that could be done again ad infinitum.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint and Lnewqban
logicgate said:
TL;DR Summary: Why is it that x times yz equals xyz and not xyxz ?

Even if ##y = z = 1##?

Likes renormalize and phinds