A Remarkable Example of Equilibrium

In summary, the sculpture appears to be a static equilibrium piece that was difficult to photograph. The center of gravity is not located in line with the hoof, and it's possible that additional measures were taken to ensure equilibrium.
kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
During a recent visit to the Modern Museum of Art in Fort Worth I came across this remarkable sculpture. It appears to be free standing (no strings attached). I assumed it is screwed into the floor and, for obvious reasons, I didn't poke it to see if it will tip over. My thinking is that the center of mass must be really low, inside the animal support, while the stuff above is fluffy and made to appear as high density material. The label of the work informed me thusly:

Erick Swenson
American, born 1972

Untitled, 2000
Mixed media
Gift of Anne and John Marion
Acquired in 2002

MixedMedia - 1.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes ChiralSuperfields, DrClaude, OmCheeto and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
How did they do it without messing up that nice floor? (Rhetorical question.)

Maybe it's filled with helium?

Borg said:
Maybe it's filled with helium?
The top is not a bag that can be filled with something. It's a two dimensional convoluted surface like a piece of cloth that has been stiffened into that shape. I should have taken a video going around it. Maybe next time.

Here is the museum burb about this piece and a better picture than mine taken elsewhere. It is interesting to note that the curator who wrote the blurb is concerned about what the piece means and completely neglects to mention the effort that went into static ensuring equilibrium. It appears that the normal force exerted by the floor on the hoof is almost zero as the animal is about to be suspended in mid air. However, we know that the normal force is the weight of the piece, furthermore, that the net torque about the point of contact is zero.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Based on just that picture I'm finding it VERY hard to believe that the center of gravity of the piece is in line w/ the hoof.
1674008082226.png

Maybe if the three upper hoofs are made of metal and the rest is styrofoam.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
phinds said:
Based on just that picture I'm finding it VERY hard to believe that the center of gravity of the piece is in line w/ the hoof.
How about a rigid rod through the hoof and leg attached to a plate under the floor? Like this:
levitating-street-performer-magic-trick-revealed.jpg

phinds said:
Based on just that picture I'm finding it VERY hard to believe that the center of gravity of the piece is in line w/ the hoof.Maybe if the three upper hoofs are made of metal and the rest is styrofoam.
I found the photo below on the web. Maybe this angle is more convincing about the center of gravity? Obviously the piece was moved from the location shown here to the museum floor where I took my photo. I couldn't get this angle because the background was not clean.

210c3972.jpg

And here is another one on the same motif. I find these beautiful.

Untitled_2003.Jpeg

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields and phinds
Wow!
I didn't notice anything in the following that I didn't like:

"I'm asking somebody to look at a static object, and drift"
--- Erick Swenson

10/10 stars

Likes kuruman

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state of balance or stability in a system where the forces or factors acting on it are equal and opposing, resulting in no net change.

2. What is a remarkable example of equilibrium?

A remarkable example of equilibrium is the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Despite its famous tilt, the tower has remained standing for over 800 years due to the balance of forces acting on it.

3. How does the Leaning Tower of Pisa maintain equilibrium?

The tower maintains equilibrium through a combination of factors such as its curved design, the use of heavy counterweights, and the soil composition of the surrounding area.

4. Can equilibrium be disrupted?

Yes, equilibrium can be disrupted if there is a change in the forces or factors acting on a system. This can lead to a shift in the balance and result in a new state of equilibrium or an unstable state.

5. How is the concept of equilibrium applied in science?

The concept of equilibrium is applied in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It helps to understand and predict the behavior of systems, from chemical reactions to ecological systems.