Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A A system of DEs with variable coefficients.

1. Jun 9, 2017 #1
    Hi. I have been trying for sometime to solve the following system of DEs analytically(Is it possible?) but no luck so far.
    $$x''(t)=-z(t)x'(t)-x(t)+y(t),$$ $$y'(t)=-z(t)y(t)+x^2(t)$$ $$z'(t)=-2z^2(t)-x(t)$$.

With the initial conditions ##x(0)=1## , ##x'(0)=0## ,##y(0)=0## and ##z(0)=1##.

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2017 #1

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

nonlinear.... start looking at a numerical solution

4. jcsd
  5. Jun 9, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##z'(t)## starts at -3 and things blow up after 1.6 seconds. What do these equations represent ? How long is it supposed to run ?

6. Jun 10, 2017 #3
    Hello, thanks for your responses. I solved it numerically in Mathematica before posting it here, even for different sets of initial conditions. I am trying to get an approximate analytical solution and yea, i will ask for a context regarding the equations. Our Professor did say that if needed we can neglect the ##x^2(t) ## term in ##y'(t)## but i still don't see how i can solve it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted