Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About an (informal, discussion-oriented) Quantum Physics model

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    Hi there, you know there are simple mathematical calculations, rather based on arithmetic properties (module, commensurability, etc), that manage to render (pseudo)random number sequences.

You have to be familiarized with some properties and characters of waves I'm going to refer here (no sh*t Sherlock), because at this time I can't develop more than a quick verbal description of the idea.

An introduction. Imagine a regular frequency sequence with times T1, T2, T3, ... ; and another different regular frequency sequence with times t1, t2, t3, ... . Imagine that both frequencies are inharmonic, "strange" to each other. And let's take every Tn -> Tn+1 as a constant single frame of relative reference. We would observe then, within this Tn -> Tn+1 frame, that times t1, t2, t3, ... might present themselves and behave in a "strange", randomwise manner. So the question is: could this strange, randomwise behavior of tn between Tn, be taken as a good model for understanding uncertainty \ superposition \ Quantum Physics ? (applied to space case).

Imagine that, similar to how we do with numbers to get randomness, one day we found out that, if we choose a set of several (perhaps many) wave rays in a "careful manner" (meaning this we secure certain quantitative relations among waves, such as degree of incommensurability or "strangeness" or "noise" among wavelengths, etc) and if we then compose those waves among them, we get so a final composite ray, for example, from point A to point B, constituted by certain prominent concentrated wave packets or groups, irregularly, unrelatedly, randomwise, and so "isolatedly" happening between A and B, not constituting a regular recurrent set. Point B would "feel" those packets in an "unrelated individualist manner".

From this point of view, particles would be prominent, assembled, concentrated wave packets or groups, not constituting a regular frequency between each other, and so acting as irregular, unrelated, random "individualist pulses", due to the inharmonic, noisy, "ugly" relation among the base waves.

I wonder if this could be a reasonable alternative, to get rid of the insanely mystic visions of modern Quantum Physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PhysicsForums, snnmbr!

In any alternative hypothesis, you will want to explain how existing phenomena occur, and where that hypothesis gives an experimentally verifiable - yet different - result. Quantum mechanics already does a great job of explaining what goes on experimentally. The mysticism is really more a component of popular articles anyway.

P.S. You should also be aware that speculative theories are not allowed to be discussed on this board.

4. Aug 25, 2009 #3
    Hi DrChinese, thanks a lot for your welcome, Physics Forums is a great idea. The model or the idea I have commented is not developed into variables and operations, but, except for this, is a logical and objective structure (you can even consider it a geometric sketch, which uses well defined objects such as waves) to picture, delineate empirical observations (in particular, I was thinking of double slit experiment). And I should add I've just commented this model not as proposing "a new theory" (and so not as "unproposing" preexisting theories), but only as providing a little informal tool for provisionally staging a quantum phenomenom, within the mere scope of a slight discussion. It's just about expressing opinions; the notion I've talked about does not intend to be speculative; rather a simple "descriptive" exercise. What, I know it is unnecessary to explain to you, perfectly falls within a legitimate scientific method. I would never misuse this forum to try to beat any existing theory. In reality, to be honest, my true motivations with this thread have been only that I've felt curious about the model I have initially described.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook