About Photon as an independent entity

In summary, the conversation discusses the early interpretations of the photoelectric effect and the discovery of the photon as an independent entity through the Compton effect. This led to the understanding that all particles have both wave and particle characteristics.
DaTario
Hi All

I was re-reading the first pages of the book from Mr Claude Cohen-Tannoudji ,... (Quantum Mechanics) and something called my attention.
In commenting the appearence , in 1905, of the photon notion in Albert Einstein's paper on photelectric effect, he (Mr. Claude) says that only in 1920, with the Compton effect, was the photon proved to be an independent entity.

My question thus is concerned with this criteria.

Why photoelectric effect is less capable of demonstrating the photon's independent nature as a physical entity than Compton's effect?

Best Wishes

DaTario

Physics news on Phys.org
I think in the early days of quantum mechanics, the interpretation of the photoelectric effect was that electromagnetic waves contain a continuous amount of energy, but that the energy could only be added and subtracted in "chunks" of magnitude h*nu. However, the Compton effect shows that the interaction of a free electron with an electromagnetic wave is correctly analyzed by treating both the electron and the EM wave as free particles and conserving energy and momentum. This is not consistent with the earlier interpretation, and makes it clearer that the photon is a true "entity". Afterwards, it became clear that all particles have both wave and particle characteristics, which is the interpretation we have today.

Thank you Phyzguy

Best Regards,

DaTario

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light. It is the smallest unit of light and carries energy and momentum.

2. How is a photon different from other particles?

Unlike other particles, such as electrons or protons, photons have no mass. They also do not have an electric charge, meaning they are not affected by electric or magnetic fields.

3. Can a photon exist as an independent entity?

Yes, a photon can exist as an independent entity. It does not require any other particles to exist or travel through empty space.

4. How do photons behave?

Photons exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This is known as wave-particle duality. They can travel in a straight line, but can also diffract and interfere with each other like waves.

5. What are the applications of photons?

Photons have many applications in daily life, such as in lighting, communication technology, and solar energy. They are also used in scientific research, particularly in the fields of optics and quantum mechanics.