Academic email domains and blocking properties

Ephant
Hi,

I need to email a professor but his university automatically rejects email like gmail. What email address domain I can get that can pass through his university spam filter and the email reached hiim?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should ask your university's information-technology support staff about this, in person or by phone if they can't receive email from gmail either.

At the college where I used to teach, this would be very strange, because they used gmail for their own email system! More precisely, the Google Workspace plan for educational institutions, in which they used their own domain for email addresses but it was gmail "under the hood."

• Informative
Likes berkeman
jtbell said:
I think you should ask your university's information-technology support staff about this, in person or by phone if they can't receive email from gmail either.

At the college where I used to teach, this would be very strange, because they used gmail for their own email system! More precisely, the Google Workspace plan for educational institutions, in which they used their own domain for email addresses but it was gmail "under the hood."

I'm not studying at any school/university now but I need to reach out to a professor at Tu Dortmund University in Germany (with confirmed tu-dortmund.de email address domain) with a matter of critical importance. Many academic email blocks gmail or other free email. So what paid email can I subscribe just to contact him?

Not to be rude, but the professor probably received and ignored the email.

Last edited:
Ephant said:
Many academic email blocks gmail or other free email. So what paid email can I subscribe just to contact him?
Assuming what you say is the case, here are two options to consider. What Internet Service provider do you use? Some provide email accounts under their domain name (usually included with their service subscription). You said you already have a BSc. See if your previous university has email accounts for alumni (typically forwarding services) with a domain such as alum.university.edu.

Likes berkeman
CrysPhys said:
Assuming what you say is the case, here are two options to consider. What Internet Service provider do you use? Some provide email accounts under their domain name (usually included with their service subscription). You said you already have a BSc. See if your previous university has email accounts for alumni (typically forwarding services) with a domain such as alum.university.edu.

That's a good idea. To use the service provider email, i'll ask if they provide one. And to ask the school if they provide email for alumni.

In case the above 2 fails. What other public email domain require payment, and not blocked by any university.

I was sure the professor didn't get the email because he asked people to replicate his experiments. And I need to ask 2 questions.

[Mentor Note: An inappropriate request by the OP has been deleted from this post]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ephant said:
with a matter of critical importance
Then use a telephone, if it is that critical.

Thread closed for Moderation...

For multiple reasons, the OP is now on a 10-day vacation from PF, so this thread is now closed. Thanks folks for trying to help the OP out.