Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ads being auto-generated when not logging in

1. Mar 13, 2015 #1
    When I visit the site and open any thread, I always see ads embedded in a few posts at the top of the thread. They look like being taken from pages I have visited. So they are localized based on my IP address I use to visit the site - PF. But I don't know how google(?) does that. :nb)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Some combination of cookies and IP most likely.

4. Mar 13, 2015 #3

Suraj M

Gold Member

Yeah, I've noticed it too.There are plenty in the app also.
    Google?

5. Mar 13, 2015 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Yes, G00gle AdSense and Analytics tracking cookies are sent and interrogated, also VigLink.

6. Mar 13, 2015 #5

Suraj M

Gold Member

what does that mean?

7. Mar 13, 2015 #6

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

8. Mar 13, 2015 #7
    They're called interest based ads and pretty much any time you look at a product via an online store you'll be targeted for that product or similar products elsewhere on the web. I find it pretty amazing and creepy at the same time.

9. Mar 13, 2015 #8

Borek

I find it pretty idiotic. I bought a new SDD drive few weeks ago and I am still being served the same SDD related ads.

10. Mar 13, 2015 #9
    Well I do not have any problem with that ads as soon as I am logged in.
    But I think it would be better for PF to grow ( members ), if that ads are removed for people not logged in.
    That ads take some space in posts and are bit disturbing when reading posts.

11. Mar 13, 2015 #10

Borek

Lack of ads is a perk for those registered.

12. Mar 13, 2015 #11
    You speak the truth, but PF has big costs.

13. Mar 13, 2015 #12
    I don't know the marketing,
    But does ads generate revenue for PF, does that you mean?

14. Mar 13, 2015 #13
    That is correct

15. Mar 13, 2015 #14
    Then that's okay. Does having new members also generate revenue in small amount apart from fame?

16. Mar 13, 2015 #15
    Trust me, I despise ads myself and even the current orientation, but I've tried many different options and the current setup is the only one that is worthwhile. I'm afraid there is little money to generate from technical science content.

Only in that new members may generate new content which ads are placed on. Or if they upgrade to Gold, which is not that common.

17. Mar 13, 2015 #16
    Thanks for explaining some marketing.
    As you'll see I am not a gold member. That is because I am a kid and I don't like spending my father's amount.
    I will most probably contribute to PF by becoming a gold member when I will get into a job as PF has taught me a lot.
    I am not kidding. :smile:

18. Mar 13, 2015 #17

mfb

2016 Award

That is the only purpose of ads on websites. No one likes them, but they give money, and you need money to run websites. There are alternative funding concepts but those don't work so well for internet forums.

19. Mar 13, 2015 #18

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

As of 2014, some websites were setting cookies readable for over 100 third-party domains. Examples at
    http://webcookies.org/third-party-cookies/

"Purpose of ads on websites" may be more than revenue. Their images hide web bugs such as zero dimension pixels than can contain pretty much whatever the scammer desires.

20. Mar 13, 2015 #19
    Thank you everyone for sharing your ideas,
    I didn't ask about the other beneficial side of ads, I only meant to know the technologies used to generate the ads and how they read cookie files in our computers.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  21. Mar 13, 2015 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The logic may be idiotic but it is irrefutable. You are an extant purchaser of SDD drives (and you read about them online). Despite having just bought one, you are still far more likely to read about them or purchase another one in the future than, say, me. Or most anyone else here, statistically speaking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook