Advanced elasticity book recommendation

rajsekharnath
TL;DR Summary: Pretty much confused about an advanced elasticity book.Resource recommendation is asked.

My last semester in freshman year of bs physics included a chapter on elasticity,it was not at the advanced level and by advanced level i mean atleast the tensor stuff.Well,I want to read that subject on 'more depth',therefore I learned the chapter on 'Tensors'from The Feynman Lectures on Physics volume 2,then I went to the chapter 'Elasticity' followed the 'Elastic Materials'(the chapter where he introduced the strain tensor and the tensor of elasticity) in the same book.For reference,my 1st semester course on elasticity was more or less at the same level of 'Elasticity' from the Feynman's book.

For more depth which books should I follow?I find the book Modern Classical Physics by Kip Thorne and R. Blandford,but it seems to be a master's level book,which I don't have a problem with but I don't know about the mathematical requisite of it.I also found this book Fluid Dynamics and Linear Elasticity by Ruderman but it's a book in applied mathematics.Right now I am quite confused,I am looking for a book which provides rigor as well as good amount of practice problem.Any help will be admired,correct me if I got anything wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Introduction to Linear Elasticity by Gould.
It‘s notation is dated, but Elasticity, Fracture and Flow by Jaeger is great.
Theory of Elasticity by Landau.

Engineers generally see this first in a mechanics of materials course. Some of the standard texts are Gere/Timoshenko, Hibbeler and Beer/Johnston.

The next level up is the subject of continuum mechanics.

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc
Frabjous said:
Introduction to Linear Elasticity by Gould.
It‘s notation is dated, but Elasticity, Fracture and Flow by Jaeger is great.
Theory of Elasticity by Landau.

Engineers generally see this first in a mechanics of materials course. Some of the standard texts are Gere/Timoshenko, Hibbeler and Beer/Johnston.

The next level up is the subject of continuum mechanics.
Thanks for suggestion,but I see both Gould and Jaeger are from engineering perspective while I am inclined towards a more 'physics'(theoretical)
approach.And I personally do not think it would be quite helpful to jump into Landau directly.

I think you are being a bit snobbish, but whatever floats your boat.

Continuum Mechanics and Thermodynamics by Tadmor and Miller
Nonlinear Solid Mechanics by Holzapfel

Frabjous said:
I think you are being a bit snobbish, but whatever floats your boat.

Continuum Mechanics and Thermodynamics by Tadmor and Miller
Nonlinear Solid Mechanics by Holzapfel
Thanks for interacting and being thoughtful about 'me being a bit snobbish'😂,I will check the books out.

Last edited:
Likes Frabjous