Advice on Statement of Purpose

In summary, a user is seeking advice for writing a statement of purpose for a graduate school program. They are experiencing writer's block and would appreciate advice from anyone involved in the admissions process. Another user suggests focusing on three ideas: pursuing knowledge, contributing to the body of knowledge, and contributing to humanity. They also mention that personal statements should highlight research and technical experience, with letters of recommendation supporting this. Additionally, the user suggests creating helpful "stickies" on topics such as graduate school admissions and recommendation letters.
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey all,

It's that time again... applying for another graduate school program. I have to write yet another statement of purpose. Does anyone have any advice?

I seem to be suffering from a debilitating bout of writer's block. I've written and thrown away three of these damn things now.

I'm particularly keen to hear from anyone who has been involved in the admissions process as an university employee, but any advice is good advice.

- Warren

Physics news on Phys.org
The last time I did one of those was about 19 years ago, when I went looking for a job, and before that, about 25+ years ago when I applied for university for the first time.

I think three ideas come to mind -

1) to pursue knowledge with an insatiable and inherent curiosity,

2) to contribute to the body of knowledge and advance the state-of-the-art,

and

3) to contribute to humanity or to contribute toward making the world a better place for all.

If this is for a PhD program, then it will involve new and useful research - or innovative and independent research which will contribute of advancing the state of the art, as opposed to an MS program where one simply contributes to some else's research.

For applying to a grad program -- personal statements should be about research and technical experience, letters or recommendation should back up that research... maybe put in a bit about teaching experience. I was on a graduate selections committee -- I suspect departments flooded with applications pragmatically want to know you can do research and get out of there with a degree... so they don't care about your shoestrings inspiring you to study string theory. :rofl:

As an aside, I'm noticing a lot of common topics: maybe we should post some additional stickies! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Sticky about factors in graduate school admissions and how they factor in...
Sticky about who to choose for recommendation letters...
Sticky about personal statements...

What is a statement of purpose?

A statement of purpose is a written essay that outlines your academic and professional background, your goals and objectives, and your reasons for applying to a particular program or institution. It is an important part of the application process for graduate school, scholarships, and some job positions.

What should be included in a statement of purpose?

A statement of purpose should include your personal and academic background, your research interests and experience, your career goals, and your reasons for choosing the specific program or institution. It should also showcase your writing skills and ability to articulate your thoughts and ideas clearly.

How long should a statement of purpose be?

The length of a statement of purpose can vary depending on the requirements of the program or institution. However, it is typically around 500-1000 words. It is important to follow the specified guidelines and not exceed the word limit as it may reflect negatively on your application.

What makes a good statement of purpose?

A good statement of purpose is well-written, concise, and tailored to the specific program or institution. It should showcase your unique qualities, experiences, and goals that make you a strong candidate. It should also demonstrate your passion and enthusiasm for the field of study.

How can I make my statement of purpose stand out?

To make your statement of purpose stand out, you can focus on highlighting your unique experiences, skills, and achievements that make you a strong candidate. Be specific and use examples to support your statements. Additionally, proofread your essay carefully to ensure it is error-free and well-structured.