Ahmadinejad offers to be an observer at US presidential election

• News
  • Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observer
In summary, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad offered to be an observer at the US presidential election in exchange for reconciliation between Iran and Israel.
fourier jr
Ahmadinejad offers to be an observer at US presidential election

Robert Tait in Tehran
Tuesday November 27, 2007
The Guardian

He denounces it as the "Great Satan" and frequently dismisses its power, but the overtures of the Iranian president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, to the US seem to grow ever more extravagant...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections08/story/0,,2217495,00.html

After a succession of corrupt elections in the US this doesn't sound like such a bad idea at all, especially with evangelicals subverting the Republican party & American democracy in general.

Physics news on Phys.org
So 'Chutzpah' is the first step in Iran-Isreal reconcilliation?

fourier jr said:
After a succession of corrupt elections in the US this doesn't sound like such a bad idea at all, especially with evangelicals subverting the Republican party & American democracy in general.
I beg to differ, but this is a freaking joke. Ahmadinejad is getting funnier and funnier (the Brits entered Iranian waters --> there are no homosexuals in Iran --> I shall observe the US elections), and seems to think that people actually take him seriously when he comes up with stuff like this.

Who remembers the 2004 Parliamentary elections in Iran? About 100MPs were disqualified by Khamenei and guess what...they were all reformists!

mgb_phys said:
So 'Chutzpah' is the first step in Iran-Isreal reconcilliation?
Getting A'jad to utter a word like 'chutzpah' will itself be a huge step towards reconciliation.

An outside observer seems like an excellent idea and for that I applaud him, but I think "sane" should be a requirement.

I think given the audience he was addressing at the time whilst knowing his offer would receive world wide coverage shows it was not intended as a serious offer but rather an exercise in Socratic irony which given some of the replies in this thread worked very successfully :biggrin:.

It at least shows he has more in common with Western humor than one would have thought :approve:

What exactly is "observing" an election? Does he personally count every vote or something?\

ps. he has a really cool name.

Art said:
I think given the audience he was addressing at the time whilst knowing his offer would receive world wide coverage shows it was not intended as a serious offer but rather an exercise in Socratic irony which given some of the replies in this thread worked very successfully :biggrin:.

It at least shows he has more in common with Western humor than one would have thought :approve:
Dictators don't mean to be ironic. The technical term for what he's doing is "poking".

ShawnD said:
What exactly is "observing" an election? Does he personally count every vote or something?\

"observing" or "scrutinising" or "stuff around"?

hehehehe...:rofl:...

I offer myself to be the next secretary-general of NATO... anyone dare to care if that's the case :biggrin:...
sigh... politics... still... it can be funny :smile:

1. What is the significance of Ahmadinejad offering to be an observer at the US presidential election?

Ahmadinejad's offer to observe the US presidential election is significant because it marks a rare and unexpected move by the former Iranian president. It is also seen as a way for Iran to criticize the US for its own alleged election interference in other countries.

2. Is Ahmadinejad's offer to be an observer a legitimate offer?

It is unclear if Ahmadinejad's offer is a legitimate one, as he is no longer in a position of power in Iran and it is ultimately up to the US to decide who can observe their elections. Additionally, the US has previously rejected similar offers from Iran in the past.

3. What is the reaction from the US to Ahmadinejad's offer?

The US has not officially responded to Ahmadinejad's offer, but it is expected that they will reject it as they have done in the past. The US has strict guidelines for international election observers and it is unlikely that Ahmadinejad would meet these criteria.

4. How would Ahmadinejad's presence at the US presidential election impact the election?

If Ahmadinejad's offer were to be accepted, it is likely that it would cause controversy and possibly even protests. Some may view his presence as a political stunt or a way for Iran to interfere in the US election process. However, as mentioned earlier, it is unlikely that his offer will be accepted.

5. What can be learned from Ahmadinejad's offer to observe the US presidential election?

Ahmadinejad's offer highlights the ongoing tensions between Iran and the US, and how each country is using the other's actions to criticize and manipulate their own political agendas. It also sheds light on the importance of fair and transparent elections, as well as the need for strict guidelines and regulations for international election observers.