AI Discovers Alternate Physics - What Do You Think?

• I
  • Thread starter Joseph M. Zias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ai Physics
In summary, an AI equipped computer viewed a classic physics experiment and determined different variables to describe the motion. One problem is that the AI suggested 4.7 variables, which may be due to the consideration of chaos theory and fractals. This suggests that analysis of physical events could potentially be done differently and raises the question of whether there could be a "new physics" in other civilizations.
Joseph M. Zias
TL;DR Summary
Recent article describes using AI to view classic pendulum experiment. Finds different variable to analyze the event.
There is a recent article, see below, where an AI equipped computer viewed a classic physics experiment with a double pendulum. The AI algorithm determined some different variables to describe the motion. One problem with this is the AI suggested 4.7 variables - that I don't understand - but nevertheless it is plausible that the analysis of physical events might be done differently. It was suggested that another galactic civilization might have a "new physics" as-it-were. What do you folks think of this?

https://www.sciencealert.com/ai-has...News&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=AppleNews

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like a fun experiment. It is possible that the AI considers position, velocity, acceleration
, and jerk as four independent variables.

Joseph M. Zias said:
Summary: Recent article describes using AI to view classic pendulum experiment. Finds different variable to analyze the event.

One problem with this is the AI suggested 4.7 variables - that I don't understand - but nevertheless ...
I haven't read the paper (paywall: https://www.nature.com/articles/s43588-022-00281-6) and I'm not sure if it explains 4.7 at all, but my first thought was:

A double pendulum is chaos theory. Chaos theory uses fractals. Fractals have non-integer dimensions. A dimension can be interpreted as a degree of freedom, hence a free variable. Such an interpretation could have led to the catch phrase: 4.7 dimensions.

• Informative
Likes sophiecentaur and berkeman

1. What is AI discovering about alternate physics?

AI has been used to analyze large amounts of data and has discovered patterns that suggest the existence of alternate physics, which could potentially revolutionize our understanding of the universe.

2. How does AI discover alternate physics?

AI uses algorithms and machine learning techniques to analyze data from experiments and simulations, looking for patterns and connections that humans may have missed. It then uses these patterns to make predictions about alternate physics.

3. What implications does this discovery have?

If AI's predictions about alternate physics are proven to be true, it could have a significant impact on our understanding of the universe and potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in various fields.

4. How accurate are AI's predictions about alternate physics?

At this point, it is still too early to determine the accuracy of AI's predictions about alternate physics. Further research and experimentation are needed to validate these predictions.

5. What are the potential challenges in using AI to discover alternate physics?

One potential challenge is the need for large amounts of data and computing power to train AI algorithms. Additionally, there may be limitations in the data available for analysis, which could affect the accuracy of AI's predictions.