Airport signs - forbidden: "White Weapons"

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I am sure I've asked this before, at least six years ago, but I don't find it, and I've just been triggered again (by my New Years trip to Cayo Largo).

In the airport in Cuba there is a sign that shows forbidden items on planes. Guns, toxins, fuel etc. Each has an icon with it.

One of the items is a mystery. It says "white weapons / arma blanca", and the icon is that of a knife, like a short hunting knife.

I can find no reference on the Google to "white weapons". Any clues?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
*sigh* Nothing like pressing 'send' to make an answer magically appear...

I decided to translate 'white weapon' to Spanish, just confirm it was not a translation issue on the sign itself.

And that led me to this quora post.

"The Term Arma Blanca (Spanish for “White Weapon” (litterally) is a term used to refer to short-pointed weapons or sharp weapons such as knives, sword blades, daggers, machetes, axes and so on.

These kind of weapons were “white weapons” Because the "black weapons" were those that had no edge or tip and that were used in games or the teaching of fencing. Therefore, if one spoke of "white", it is because the sword was not only unsheathed. It also wanted to say that It had a sharp edge."

and

"...from the Spanish TV show 20 minutos. They attribute it to the fact that a sharpened blade will shine white in the sun, whereas a dull weapon used for fencing practice will not. ...
This blog post (in French) about the equivalent French explanation gives the same explanation, but also suggests an origin based on the color of a steel blade as opposed to one of bronze. These both sound more imaginative than factual."

Thanks everyone. You've been great.

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes berkeman, fresh_42, phinds and 2 others

What are "White Weapons" as mentioned in airport signs?

"White Weapons" typically refer to bladed or sharp instruments that are capable of causing harm. These include items such as knives, swords, and other types of edged weapons. The term is used in some regions to categorize these items under prohibited articles in airport security contexts.

Why are white weapons forbidden in airports?

White weapons are forbidden in airports primarily for safety reasons. Airports are high-security areas where the safety of passengers is paramount. Allowing passengers to carry items that could easily be used as weapons poses a significant risk to security and the well-being of everyone in the terminal and aboard aircraft.

Can I bring a white weapon in my checked luggage?

Rules about transporting white weapons in checked luggage vary by airline and country. Generally, you may be allowed to transport such items in your checked baggage, but they must be properly declared and packed according to specific regulations. It is always best to check with your airline and review the relevant airport security guidelines before traveling.

What happens if a white weapon is found in my carry-on bag during security screening?

If a white weapon is found in your carry-on bag during security screening, it will likely be confiscated. Additionally, you may be subject to further questioning, fines, or even legal action depending on the laws of the country you are in. It's important to thoroughly check the contents of your carry-on bag before heading to the airport to avoid such situations.

Are there any exceptions to the prohibition of white weapons at airports?

Exceptions to the prohibition of white weapons at airports are rare and usually pertain to law enforcement or security personnel who are authorized to carry such items. For civilians, some airports might allow the transportation of sports equipment or tools that include blades, but these must generally be checked and declared. Always verify specific airport and airline regulations to understand what exceptions, if any, might apply.