AI's First #1 Country Hit: Authenticity vs. Traditional Artists

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8 replies · 2K views
Hornbein
Gold Member
Messages
4,253
Reaction score
3,380
Number #1 on the country charts.



It's better than most songs on the country charts. Today's country hits tend to feature thick phony southern accents. This AI sounds authentic, so to me it's better.

I'm told that AIs have trouble with lyrics, so it might not be 100% AI. Who knows or cares?

Real artists will have trouble competing with a star whose salary is $0 and cannot ever do anything scandalous.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I liked Juice Newton's old classic: "Life's been a little bit tough on me" as played in the music video where her boyfriend keeps accidentally injuring her from slamming the door on her leg before she gets in the car, to injuring her leg requiring crutches and then to being in a wheel chair that starts rolling downhill.

Another was I think Pam Tillis, entitled "The Queen of Denial" with an Egyptian vibe of a wife who denies the reality of her situation.
 
Mixed feelings. On one hand, a lot of the complainers are using autotune, so how is that better? On the other hand, how does this compare to the best songs and artists? Compare these AI lyrics, which are not a story, but rather a string of statements, to something like Bonnie Raitt's "Just Like That", or Chris Stapleton's "Tennessee Whisky".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
Personally, I like music that does unexpected things and surprises me. So I usually find country rather dull. It's just people complaining and not doing much. There are exceptions of course.

Is this song really "County". I'm not good with music terms, but it sounds more like Gospel to me. I'd have never guessed it was AI. It's quite good, if a bit predictable.
 
Algr said:
Personally, I like music that does unexpected things and surprises me. So I usually find country rather dull. It's just people complaining and not doing much. There are exceptions of course.

Is this song really "County". I'm not good with music terms, but it sounds more like Gospel to me. I'd have never guessed it was AI. It's quite good, if a bit predictable.
When I lived in northern Michigan the choices on the radio were contemporary "country", heavy metal, and 80's techno. I usually went with country as the lesser evil but it's mostly pop music with phony Gomer Pyle accents. The accountants took over in maybe 2000 with the usual result. Emmylou Harris was still very popular but couldn't get on the radio anymore.

The country and western music that has stood the test of time since the 30's can be really good. I never tire of Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys. This one is originally from 1987. I can't resist a heavy groove. He's still playing stadiums but can't get on pseudocountry radio either.

 
Last edited:
Hornbein said:
Emmylou Harris was still very popular but couldn't get on the radio anymore.

The country and western music that has stood the test of time since the 30's can be really good.
It's true of any music genre that time lets us remember the good ones and forget about the tons of mediocre/bad ones. Our memories are kind that way. ( I remember looking for deep meaning in "Rockin' Robin, and finding it!)
You can find great new C&W songs if you look in the right places, for the right artists. YouTube has a lot.
 
This isn't country music, or AI, but it is something I like.



I also lived Kate Bush before she was on Stranger Things.
 
Algr said:
This isn't country music, or AI, but it is something I like.



I also lived Kate Bush before she was on Stranger Things.

I like that too. It was a big hit. Produced by a computer game company as a promotion. Those four are assassins in the game.