Alcubierre Drive: Faster Than Light Travel Possible?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Unredeemed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Drive
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Unredeemed
Messages
120
Reaction score
0
I stumbled across it on wikipedia. I'd never heard of it before but sounds quite interesting. I wonder if it'll ever be pursued as a way for faster than light travel. I think it's clever the way it allows this without defying the laws of relativity. What's everyone elses opinion?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Unredeemed said:
I stumbled across it on wikipedia. I'd never heard of it before but sounds quite interesting. I wonder if it'll ever be pursued as a way for faster than light travel. I think it's clever the way it allows this without defying the laws of relativity. What's everyone elses opinion?

There are serious papers on warp drive spacetimes, but this types of spacetime requires exotic material (negative energy density as measured by some observers). Quantum theory seem to indicate that exotic material exists, but how much is needed for these spacetimes is a matter of disagreement among physicists, i.e., research is still ongoing. A good technical review is

http://arxiv.org/abs/0710.4474.

This review mentions other problems, as well.