Algorithm for multidimensional constrained root finding

• Thread starter Breakgate
  • Start date
Hi all,

I'm looking for an algorithm for multidimensional constrained root finding, implemented in Fortran. It's intended for finding a steady-state solution for a dynamic model. I have n state variables and n coupled differential equations (n~=60), and I need to find the value for the state variables at which the rate of change is zero.

Currently I'm working with an adapted version of Newton-Raphson taken from Numerical Recipes, but this algorithm doesn't support bounds and the solver has a tendency to converge on impossible values. Actually, it seems that not many multidimensional algorithms support bounds. I found an implementation of BFGS (http://hod.greeley.org/papers/Unsorted/lbfgsb.pdf) that supports constraints, but I'm not sure if this suitable for my purpose. From what I understand, not every minimization algorithm is suitable for root finding.
Can anyone tell me if the BGFS algorithm is suitable for root finding, or suggest a better algorithm?

Many thanks in advance!

Answers and Replies

It is probably best to implement it and test it. Should be faster than searching for other algorithms without knowing the outcome.