Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

All causes are catalysts, do you agree?

1. Feb 15, 2007 #1
    Do you think every true cause of an event is the event's catalyst?

Do you think that some "activation potential" must be crossed for any event which may occur to occur?

Do you think that some "activation potential" must be crossed for a meme to propogate further?

If a given cause is never a catalyst, is the cause never determinate?

If the cause is never determinate, may it ever be intelligible?

If it can never be intelligible, can science study it?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2007 #2

verty

Homework Helper

I would say meaningless, meaningless, yes, meaningless (I think), no, no. I think the meaningless ones don't matter either way.

4. Feb 18, 2007 #3
    motives are the key here

5. Feb 18, 2007 #4

verty

Homework Helper

I'm waiting for kmarinas to respond rather than writing a fat response.

6. Feb 18, 2007 #5
    Ok, do you want me to talk about your answers?

7. Feb 18, 2007 #6
    If catalysts increase the probability of a reaction occurring, why do they happen? If the definition of energy is the potential to do work, then why do things change if energy is another measure of probability? What causes things to change?

8. Feb 18, 2007 #7
    Suppose an event which may occur in the future = the moon will rise tomorrow. I find no "activation potential" to be crossed for this event to occur if it does occur, only the continued existence of the earth and the moon.

9. Feb 19, 2007 #8
    Probable cause.

Um. Probability is not measured in joules, ergs, eV, or anything like that.

Probable cause.

The activation potential is not "to be" crossed. It already has done so long ago. There is no change in "activity" necessary for this to occur. There is no change in orbital "frequency" necessary for this to occur. The necessary activity and frequency have been present in the system, and no energy has to be added.

10. Feb 19, 2007 #9

verty

Homework Helper

Kmarinas, I take it that when one asks a question, they should anticipate the answer. Therefore, I gave answers which might or might not be consistent with your anticipation. Now I wait for you to tell us what your anticipation was, and how my answers corresponded to your intuitions.

11. Feb 19, 2007 #10
    I has no idea as to what to ancipate.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, no, no.

12. Feb 19, 2007 #11

verty

Homework Helper

Okay then, that settles it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?