Allan Arbus, Actor of M*A*S*H, Dies at 95

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
In summary, Allan Arbus, best known for his role as Sydney Freedman on the hit TV show M*A*S*H, passed away at the age of 95 on Friday. Fans and fellow actors are mourning the loss of this talented performer and remembering his iconic character with fondness.
Physics news on Phys.org
George Jones said:
Wow, I'm old.

Yes, you are. I'm ashamed to be seen with you. :-p

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought "Surely George doesn't mean that Sydney Freedman..."

RIP, Allan Arbus, and thanks for laughs.

I liked his character. R.I.P.

Sure makes me feel old.

Evo said:
I liked his character. R.I.P.

Sure makes me feel old.
He was 95. You should feel young.

I saw the original M*A*S*H (Elliot Gould, Donald Sutherland, Sally Kellerman, . . .) with my father. I was 13 at the time.

1. Who was Allan Arbus?

Allan Arbus was an American actor best known for his role as psychiatrist Major Sidney Freedman on the popular TV series M*A*S*H.

2. When did Allan Arbus pass away?

Allan Arbus passed away on April 19th, 2013 at the age of 95.

3. What other roles did Allan Arbus play?

In addition to his role on M*A*S*H, Allan Arbus had a successful career as a character actor, appearing in numerous films and TV shows such as "Coffy," "The Electric Horseman," and "Taxi."

4. How did Allan Arbus become an actor?

Allan Arbus initially worked as a photographer, but he was encouraged by his wife, photographer Diane Arbus, to pursue acting. He began taking classes and eventually landed his breakout role on M*A*S*H.

5. What was Allan Arbus' impact on M*A*S*H?

Allan Arbus' character, Major Sidney Freedman, was a fan favorite on M*A*S*H for his quirky yet compassionate portrayal of a psychiatrist in the midst of war. He appeared in 12 episodes throughout the series and is remembered as a beloved and integral part of the show's success.