Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I the only one who finds this absolutely hilarious

1. Aug 7, 2013 #1
    So there I am downloading some technical papers. I download this particular paper and this da_mn rat pops up in the middle of the screen. Scared the hel_l out of me - I thought I accidentally downloaded a crackpot article sponsored by a rat poison company. I cant stop laughing!

I cant get a URL without linking through the journal (which you may not have access too) so I cropped the image as best as I could.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2013 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice :rofl:.

Reminds me of those internet 'jokes' of about 10 years ago, where they show a picture and say, There is something very strange about this picture. Can you find it?

Then in about 10 seconds, when your whole being is fixed on finding the very strange thing, a creepy picture suddenly FLASHES on the screen!

Gawd I hated those :grumpy:.

4. Aug 7, 2013 #3
    My mom always fell for those haha

5. Aug 7, 2013 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The worse was that Orkin pest exterminator commercial that had a cockroach crawling around on top of the screen, people were actually hitting their tv's with their shoes to kill it. The first time I saw it was OMG! Where's the roach spray?

6. Aug 7, 2013 #5

Drakkith

Buahahaha!

7. Aug 8, 2013 #6
    Looks like a really happy gerbil-hamster-guina pig-rat cross breed

8. Aug 8, 2013 #7

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, that was a classic. :rofl:
    Maybe they were trying to reach as many demographics as possible?

9. Aug 8, 2013 #8
    I happen to know, from another thread, that Evo REALLY does not like cockroaches.

10. Aug 8, 2013 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

And you know of people who DO ???

I'm with Evo on that one.

11. Aug 8, 2013 #10
    Uh, no. Not at all. By no means. Uh-uh. No way.

Me, from that other thread:

<<< My grandmother, born in 1914, had some weird habits, including, as I noticed when I was about 5, sleeping with cotton in her ears. I asked mom why she did this, to which she replied, "Grandma doesn't want roaches to crawl into her ears."

If ever an answer required elaboration, it was this one. "That can happen?!? Why??" I'm pretty sure I wasn't screaming.

"No, of course not. She's just being careful. You know how she is." And I did know, but still, being the budding scientist, I sought more data. At that young age, I was already aware of observer bias, and I had observed that mom thought grandma was crazy. I had developed my own hypothesis, viz; us kids were too damn loud. I had plenty of anecdotal evidence to support this.

"Grandma, why do you sleep with cotton in your ears?"

She looked at me as if to judge my ability to hear a hard truth. Then, "When I was a little girl, a roach crawled into my ear when I was asleep. I could hear it crawling around.:-) " She gave me a knowing look. "They do that to make you crazy. Finally the doctors had to pour poison into my ear to kill it."

I only tried to sleep with cotton in my ears for a few weeks, until I rationalized that she was, indeed, crazy-ish. It's really uncomfortable, and definitely a liability when trying to detect a little brother ambush.

Years later, after her death, I ran into my great uncle, and related the tale, expecting a chuckle or two. Uh, no. Very seriously, he explained her behavior.

When grandma was 8 or 9, a cockroach had indeed crawled into her ear. And, indeed, it had made her a bit crazy. Finally, a doctor making a house call (look that up on Wikipedia, kids,) poured mineral oil into her ear, either: a) flushing it out, or b) killing it in situ.

That uncertainty made me a bit crazy for a while, too. >>>

Sooooooo ... that's how I feel about roaches.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  12. Aug 8, 2013 #11

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here ya go Evo. Just for you. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akaeH6CcL0k

13. Aug 8, 2013 #12

Evo

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  14. Aug 8, 2013 #13
    She's gonna really like you for that one. Also, you owe me for a new monitor, to replace the one I just smashed in order to kill that frakking roach.

15. Aug 8, 2013 #14

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see that you hit your screen so hard that you knocked the video off the internet.

16. Aug 8, 2013 #15

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

That is a very misleading intro :[

17. Aug 8, 2013 #16
    Yes, but now, when you're taking a nice, relaxing bubble-bath, you can think of roaches.

(What has two thumbs and likes cockroaches? Not THIS guy!)

18. Aug 8, 2013 #17

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I figured the title of the video would give it away. Definitely wasn't trying to waken the ban hammer. :uhh:
    It was that or one with Gary Coleman dancing. I decided that this one was less scary.

19. Aug 8, 2013 #18
    Good call.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook