Am I the only one who finds this absolutely hilarious

• Thread starter Aero51
  • Start date
So there I am downloading some technical papers. I download this particular paper and this da_mn rat pops up in the middle of the screen. Scared the hel_l out of me - I thought I accidentally downloaded a crackpot article sponsored by a rat poison company. I cant stop laughing!

I cant get a URL without linking through the journal (which you may not have access too) so I cropped the image as best as I could.

Attachments

• TurbulentRat.jpg
    TurbulentRat.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 444

Answers and Replies

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nice :rofl:.

Reminds me of those internet 'jokes' of about 10 years ago, where they show a picture and say, There is something very strange about this picture. Can you find it?

Then in about 10 seconds, when your whole being is fixed on finding the very strange thing, a creepy picture suddenly FLASHES on the screen!

Gawd I hated those :grumpy:.

My mom always fell for those haha

Evo
Mentor
The worse was that Orkin pest exterminator commercial that had a cockroach crawling around on top of the screen, people were actually hitting their tv's with their shoes to kill it. The first time I saw it was OMG! Where's the roach spray?

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The worse was that Orkin pest exterminator commercial that had a cockroach crawling around on top of the screen, people were actually hitting their tv's with their shoes to kill it. The first time I saw it was OMG! Where's the roach spray?

Buahahaha!

256bits
Gold Member
Looks like a really happy gerbil-hamster-guina pig-rat cross breed

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yeah, that was a classic. :rofl:
Looks like a really happy gerbil-hamster-guina pig-rat cross breed
Maybe they were trying to reach as many demographics as possible?

I happen to know, from another thread, that Evo REALLY does not like cockroaches.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I happen to know, from another thread, that Evo REALLY does not like cockroaches.

And you know of people who DO ???

I'm with Evo on that one.

And you know of people who DO ???

I'm with Evo on that one.

Uh, no. Not at all. By no means. Uh-uh. No way.

Me, from that other thread:

<<< My grandmother, born in 1914, had some weird habits, including, as I noticed when I was about 5, sleeping with cotton in her ears. I asked mom why she did this, to which she replied, "Grandma doesn't want roaches to crawl into her ears."

If ever an answer required elaboration, it was this one. "That can happen?!? Why??" I'm pretty sure I wasn't screaming.

"No, of course not. She's just being careful. You know how she is." And I did know, but still, being the budding scientist, I sought more data. At that young age, I was already aware of observer bias, and I had observed that mom thought grandma was crazy. I had developed my own hypothesis, viz; us kids were too damn loud. I had plenty of anecdotal evidence to support this.

"Grandma, why do you sleep with cotton in your ears?"

She looked at me as if to judge my ability to hear a hard truth. Then, "When I was a little girl, a roach crawled into my ear when I was asleep. I could hear it crawling around.:-) " She gave me a knowing look. "They do that to make you crazy. Finally the doctors had to pour poison into my ear to kill it."

I only tried to sleep with cotton in my ears for a few weeks, until I rationalized that she was, indeed, crazy-ish. It's really uncomfortable, and definitely a liability when trying to detect a little brother ambush.

Years later, after her death, I ran into my great uncle, and related the tale, expecting a chuckle or two. Uh, no. Very seriously, he explained her behavior.

When grandma was 8 or 9, a cockroach had indeed crawled into her ear. And, indeed, it had made her a bit crazy. Finally, a doctor making a house call (look that up on Wikipedia, kids,) poured mineral oil into her ear, either: a) flushing it out, or b) killing it in situ.

That uncertainty made me a bit crazy for a while, too. >>>

Sooooooo ... that's how I feel about roaches.

Last edited:
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here ya go Evo. Just for you. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akaeH6CcL0k

Evo
Mentor
here ya go evo. Just for you. :wink:

aaaarghh!!!

Last edited:

She's gonna really like you for that one. Also, you owe me for a new monitor, to replace the one I just smashed in order to kill that frakking roach.

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
aaaarghh!!!
I see that you hit your screen so hard that you knocked the video off the internet.

WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
That is a very misleading intro :[

Yes, but now, when you're taking a nice, relaxing bubble-bath, you can think of roaches.

(What has two thumbs and likes cockroaches? Not THIS guy!)

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I figured the title of the video would give it away. Definitely wasn't trying to waken the ban hammer. :uhh:
Yes, but now, when you're taking a nice, relaxing bubble-bath, you can think of roaches.

(What has two thumbs and likes cockroaches? Not THIS guy!)
It was that or one with Gary Coleman dancing. I decided that this one was less scary.

It was that or one with Gary Coleman dancing. I decided that this one was less scary.

Good call.