Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Americans Elect - the first internet Presidential ticket?

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no opinion on this yet but it sounds interesting.

http://www.americanselect.org/about [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Finally,

Cemore Asses will finally get elected!

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3
    Evo - 2012!

5. Aug 23, 2011 #4
    Nobody who has ever spent any time reading youtube comments can possibly think this will turn out well.

6. Aug 23, 2011 #5

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Damn right!

Damn right!

7. Aug 23, 2011 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And we can see how much the bar is raised at PF. :smile:

8. Aug 23, 2011 #7
    http://www.americanselect.org/privacy [Broken] :rolleyes:

what could possibly be wrong with this? it'll be interesting to see who they really are and who they're collecting information for.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  9. Aug 23, 2011 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

10. Aug 24, 2011 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was being sarcastic; based in part on the responses in this thread so far.

11. Aug 24, 2011 #10
    One can only imagine how many votes Charlie Sheen, Louis Farrakhan, Charles Manson, Clint Eastwood, Bill Maher, Steven Colbert, Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Jon Stewart, Turbo, Sean Penn, Miley Cyrus, Jay Williams (a real politician) and others might receive.

12. Aug 24, 2011 #11
    On a serious note - my guess is younger voters will be more likely to engage in this type activity - to coin a phrase "flashmob politics". If they find a hero in Howard Dean or some other far left personality and put forth a serious write-in effort - it could hurt the President. Okay - not too serious.:rofl:

13. Aug 24, 2011 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, if you go through the questions and look at the percentages each response gets, it's clear they'll wind up with a liberal candidate. However, some candidates are more popular on the internet than in real life (Ron Paul for example), so I have my doubts about whether their candidate would actually hurt the President's re-election efforts.

14. Aug 24, 2011 #13
    I think they're underestimating the difficulty of getting on the ballot in all 50 states. Even well-organized, yet small, political parties such as the Libertarians and the Greens struggle with that.

15. Aug 24, 2011 #14
    It's difficult, but worst case scenario they just tell you (if you're in a state that they couldn't) to turn yours into a write-in vote via e-mail, text, phone call, etc.

Of course, reminders like that don't always work.. but it is doable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook