An Embarrassing Question about turning a ring into a module

In summary, a module over a ring is an abelian group with a map from the ring to the module that satisfies certain axioms. A ring can be interpreted as a module over itself, with the elements of the ring acting as scalars. This leads to the concept of an ideal, which is a subgroup of the ring that is closed under multiplication by any element of the ring.
TMO
Given a ring R, how exactly do I interpret it as a module? A lot of my homework assignments involve treating a ring as "a module over itself" and I don't know precisely what that means.

Physics news on Phys.org
A module [itex]M[/itex] over a ring [itex]R[/itex] is an abelian group together with a map [itex]R\times M\to M[/itex] satisfying certain axioms. Take [itex]M=R[/itex] and let the map be given by left multiplication (so [itex](r,x)[/itex] is taken to [itex]rx[/itex]).

Likes WWGD and fresh_42
the main thing that happens that is different from what you might expect, is to consider the meaning of a submodule of the ring. This will be a subgroup of the ring additively, but will not need to be a subring, so will not need to contain 1. It will however need to be closed not just under multiplication, but also under multiplication by any element of the ring.

thus it will be exactly what is called an ideal of the ring. in my opinion it is probably better pedadogically, to study ideals first, and then after defining modules to remark that an ideal is just a submodule when the ring is considered a module over itself.

TMO said:
Given a ring R, how exactly do I interpret it as a module? A lot of my homework assignments involve treating a ring as "a module over itself" and I don't know precisely what that means.

Formally, a ring can be thought of as a generalization of a number system such as the the integers. It has a commutative law of addition and a multiplication that distributes over addition.

A module generalizes the idea of a vector space. It has a commutative law of addition and a multiplication by "scalars" which are elements of a ring (not necessarily a field as in a vector space) and which distributes over addition. However, the elements of the ring may not be elements of the module. For instance any abelian group is a module over the ring of integers.

A ring can be thought of as a module over itself by letting the scalars be the elements of the ring.

As @mathwonk points out, modules naturally arise as "ideals" in rings. An ideal is a subgroup of a ring in which the scalars are the ring itself. For example if the ring is the integers, then the even integers are an ideal. Multiplication of an even integer by an arbitrary integer is still even, so the even integers are a module over all of the integers. If the ring is not commutative multiplication by scalars can be different if one multiplies on the right or on the left. One gets the idea of a "left ideal" and a "right ideal" or a "two sided ideal" if multiplication on the left and right both work as scalar multiplication.

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur and mathwonk

1. Can any ring be turned into a module?

No, not all rings can be turned into modules. In order for a ring to be turned into a module, it must have certain properties such as being a commutative ring with identity and having a compatible scalar multiplication operation.

2. What is the purpose of turning a ring into a module?

The purpose of turning a ring into a module is to extend the concept of vector spaces to non-commutative algebraic structures. This allows for the application of linear algebra techniques in abstract algebra settings.

3. How is a ring turned into a module?

A ring can be turned into a module by defining a scalar multiplication operation using elements from the ring and elements from the module. This operation must satisfy certain properties, such as being associative and distributive, in order for the ring to be a module over that particular ring.

4. What are the benefits of turning a ring into a module?

Turning a ring into a module allows for the use of linear algebra techniques, such as vector spaces, in abstract algebra settings. This can aid in understanding and solving problems in areas such as group theory, ring theory, and field theory.

5. Are there any limitations to turning a ring into a module?

Yes, there are limitations to turning a ring into a module. As mentioned before, the ring must have certain properties in order for it to be a module. Additionally, not all rings can be turned into modules over the same ring, as the scalar multiplication operation must be compatible. For example, a ring may be a module over itself, but not over a different ring.