Angle of sun - maximizing sun exposure

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Sun
In summary, the individual is looking to build a roof over their pool that will protect it from debris but still allow maximum exposure to the sun. They want to minimize any shade and maximize solar heating of the water. They discuss the angle of the sun and suggest rotating the roof to optimize exposure, regardless of the time or day the pool is in use. They express disappointment in not receiving information on the angle of insolation and solar inclination.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm looking into putting a "roof" over my pool. I wish to ensure that the roof does not obstruct the sun.

You heard me. I wish to build the opposite of a shade roof.

The roof is intended to protect my pool from detritus falling from surrounding trees (no, cutting them down is not an option) of which there is a lot. But I want to maximize the sun's exposure on the pool. It's an above ground 14' round.

If my calculations are correct, here at 43°N, the height of the sun at maximum will be 70°
http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/6h.html (Table 6H-1, bottom of page).

Is that at true South?

No way. My roof would need to be ... 42 feet above ground at its Southern edge!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's due south, but if the maximum angle is 70, then the angle required to minimize exposure should be somewhat less - perhaps 50 degrees...and you may want to rotate it 15 or 30 degrees west. Because:

1. You'll be using the pool on other days besides June 21st.
2. You'll be using the pool at other times besides noon...more often after than before.

russ_watters said:
Yes, that's due south, but if the maximum angle is 70, then the angle required to minimize exposure should be somewhat less - perhaps 50 degrees
No, I want to maximize exposure. Ideally, I do not want any part of the pool in shade at any time.

russ_watters said:
...and you may want to rotate it 15 or 30 degrees west. Because:

1. You'll be using the pool on other days besides June 21st.
2. You'll be using the pool at other times besides noon...more often after than before.

Sorry, maybe I've misrepped the issue. It matters not what days or times the pool is in use, what matters is maximum expsoure time to provide maximum solar heating of the water.

Attachments

• PF20100605_poolroof.jpg
    PF20100605_poolroof.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
So, no one on PF knows about angle of insolation and solar inclination? :sadface:

Last edited:

I understand your desire to maximize sun exposure on your pool while also protecting it from debris. In order to achieve this, there are a few factors to consider.

First, it is important to note that the angle of the sun changes throughout the year due to the Earth's tilt and orbit around the sun. This means that the angle of the sun at maximum will not always be 70° at your location of 43°N. It will vary depending on the time of year.

Second, the angle of the sun also varies depending on the time of day. In order to maximize sun exposure on your pool, you will need to consider the angle of the sun at different times of the day, not just at maximum.

To determine the best angle for your roof, you will need to take into account the specific location and orientation of your pool, as well as the surrounding trees and their height. This will require some precise calculations and measurements.

One option to consider is a retractable or adjustable roof that can be moved to allow for maximum sun exposure at different times of the day and year. This would also allow you to protect your pool from debris when needed.

Another option is to use a translucent or partially transparent material for your roof, which would still allow for some sunlight to reach your pool while also providing protection from debris.

In terms of the angle of your roof, it does not necessarily need to be at true South. It can be oriented slightly east or west to allow for more sunlight at certain times of the day. Again, this will depend on the specific location and orientation of your pool.

Overall, the best approach would be to consult with a professional who specializes in pool design and construction. They will be able to assess your specific situation and provide the best solution for maximizing sun exposure on your pool while also protecting it from debris.

1. What is the best angle for maximizing sun exposure?

The optimal angle for maximizing sun exposure varies depending on location, but generally ranges from 30-45 degrees from the horizontal. This angle allows for the most direct sunlight to hit a surface, maximizing exposure and energy absorption.

2. How does the angle of the sun change throughout the day?

The angle of the sun changes throughout the day due to the Earth's rotation and tilt. It is highest at noon when the sun is directly overhead, and gradually decreases in the morning and evening as the sun rises and sets.

3. How does the angle of the sun change throughout the year?

The angle of the sun changes throughout the year due to the Earth's orbit around the sun and its tilt. This results in longer days and higher sun angles in the summer, and shorter days and lower sun angles in the winter.

4. What factors affect the angle of the sun?

The angle of the sun is primarily affected by the Earth's rotation and tilt, but can also be influenced by atmospheric conditions and the position of the sun in relation to the observer's location on Earth.

5. How can I determine the optimal angle for my location?

There are several online tools and resources available to help determine the optimal angle for maximizing sun exposure in your specific location. Factors such as latitude, season, and surrounding obstacles can all affect the ideal angle, so it is important to research and adjust accordingly.