Are fermions truly antisymmetric in their wave function?

• Thread starter Sivasakthi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fermions
In summary: Since it was indirectly pointed out to me just now that my earlier post was incorrect I have updated it in the above quote (it is too long ago to be able to edit the original post)....The antisymmetry in the wave function of fermions is in the complete wave function or it is in the spin?The anti-symmetry is in the complete wave function, under interchange of particles.
Sivasakthi
I have a doubt regarding the antisymmetry in the wave function of fermions.The antisymmetry is in the complete wave function or it is in the spin?

Physics news on Phys.org
The anti-symmetry is in the complete wave function, under interchange of particles.
I.e. if the single-particle wave functions are located at x1 and x2 (*), then the wave function for the whole system should satisfy
##\psi(x_1, x_2) = - \psi(x_2, x_1)##

(*) Note: more generally, you should have ##\psi(\vec a_1, \vec a_2) = -\psi(\vec a_2, \vec a_1)## where ##\vec a_i## are the quantum numbers characterizing the state of particle i. The spin is just one of these numbers, e.g. ##a_i## could be ##(\vec r_i, \vec p_i, \vec J_i, \operatorname{spin}_i, \ldots)##.

Hi,

Can we say that the antisymmetry in the total wave function is because of the antisymmetry in spin?The exchange of particles just deals with their spatial symmetry...so finally ends with Pauli's principle...am i correct?

Sivasakthi said:
Can we say that the antisymmetry in the total wave function is because of the antisymmetry in spin?The exchange of particles just deals with their spatial symmetry...so finally ends with Pauli's principle...am i correct?
No, the exchange is a complete particle exchange - space, spin and all internal variables such as isospin, color...

No, because sometimes, as CompuChip says, spin is just one possibility out of many.

So does it mean that there exists many other possibilities than spin through which we may distinguish the identical particles?I thought the complete wave function includes only the spatial and spin parts.And as the particles get interchanged, their spatial wave functions remain symmetric and thus to make the total wave function anti symmetric their spins should be anti symmetric..that is what i had in my mind till now...

Sivasakthi said:
So does it mean that there exists many other possibilities than spin through which we may distinguish the identical particles?

Right. For example the ##\Omega^-## particle contains three strange quarks, all in the same spatial and spin state. But they are in an antisymmetric color state, so the total wave function is antisymmetric, as required.

Don't know whether this helps, but using creation and annihilation operators this becomes rather obvious. Suppose we use an operator ##b_a^\dagger## to create a particle in state a = {momentum, spin, isospin, ...}. Then creating two particles in the same state simply means

##|a,a\rangle = \left(b_a^\dagger\right)^2|0\rangle##

But for fermionic operators we have

##\left(b_a^\dagger\right)^2 = 0##

and therefore the state ##|a,a\rangle## is the null-vector.

Again its confusing.That operator corresponds to which state?The state that is described here contains so many quantum states such as momentum spin etc..The state is a null vector represents that there cannot be any such possibility.So does it be valid for all the quantum states?

The state contains all quantum number including momentum, spin, ...; there is noithing special for quantum number spin, except for the fact that spin 1/2 demands Fermi-Dirac statistics which results in the properties of the creation operator.

And yes, you are right, the fact that the state with two identical fermions is a null vector means that thee cannot be such a state.

Likes 1 person
You should also be careful in distinguishing the following:
* |0> is the "vacuum" state in which you can create particles
* The scalar 0 means that the operation is unphysical.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot for your replies.I am having another doubt regarding the antisymmetry of two electrons.Electrons being fermions are antisymmetric.But does it have any sense if we are asked to create a symmetric state for them?

Sivasakthi said:
does it have any sense if we are asked to create a symmetric state for them?
This exactly what the above mentioned construction does:
tom.stoer said:
... creating two particles in the same state [= creating a symmetric state] simply means

##|a,a\rangle = \left(b_a^\dagger\right)^2|0\rangle##

for fermionic operators we have

##\left(b_a^\dagger\right)^2 = 0##

and therefore the [symmetric] state ##|a,a\rangle## is the null-vector.
But
CompuChip said:
... the scalar 0 means that the operation is unphysical [i.e. that no such state does exist]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
A more intuitive way of looking at it: electrons are fermions, so their states have to be antisymmetric. The only vector which is both antisymmetric and symmetric is the null vector (which is not, as I claimed before, a scalar).

CompuChip said:
You should also be careful in distinguishing the following:
* |0> is the "vacuum" state in which you can create particles. It is a non-trivial state |n> with n=0 the label of the state.
* The null vector 0 (the analog of the origin in ##\mathbb R^n##) holds no information whatsoever and means that the operation is unphysical.

Since it was indirectly pointed out to me just now that my earlier post was incorrect I have updated it in the above quote (it is too long ago to be able to edit the original post). Thanks!

I think all the answers given above are sort of getting too technical. Here's an easy way to think of it.

Let's say we just have a two-particle position wavefunction ψ(x1,x2). [Just a position wavefunction, no spinor part nor any other hidden quantum numbers.] If we are dealing with distinguishable particles, we can write ψ(x1,x2)=ψ1(x12(x2). For distinguishable particles this makes sense because since we know particle 1 from particle 2, we can say definitely that particle 1 is in its state ψ1 and particle 2 is in its state ψ2.

For indistinguishable particles, however, we cannot use that form of the wave function because it is in principle impossible to say which particle is particle 1 and which particle is particle 2. So the probability distributions must be the same for the two cases:
1) particle 1 is in state ψ1 and particle 2 is in the state ψ2
2) particle 1 is in state ψ2 and particle 2 is in the state ψ1

Therefore we require the probability distribution |ψ|2 satisfies:
|ψ(x1,x2)|2=|ψ(x2,x1)|2

If you stare at this for long enough you can convince yourself that there are only two ways to satisfy the equation:
ψ(x1,x2)=ψ1(x12(x2)±ψ1(x22(x1).

We define bosons as those particles which obey ψ1(x12(x2)+ψ1(x22(x1) and we define fermions as those particles which obey ψ1(x12(x2)-ψ1(x22(x1).

Notice that none of this had anything to do with spin. So fermions don't necessarily have any spin until you go into relativistic quantum mechanics/anyonic systems. The fact that there is a connection between spin and bosons/fermions comes out of the spin statistics theorem, which requires much more advanced ideas.

Note: this is all stolen from Griffiths' "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics", chapter 5.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What is antisymmetry of fermions?

Antisymmetry of fermions refers to the property in quantum mechanics where the wave function of a system of identical fermions must change sign upon the exchange of any two particles. This is known as the Pauli exclusion principle.

2. What is the significance of antisymmetry of fermions?

The antisymmetry of fermions is important because it allows for the existence of atoms and molecules, as well as for the stability of matter. Without the Pauli exclusion principle, all electrons would collapse into the lowest energy state, making the universe very different from what we observe.

3. How does the antisymmetry of fermions affect the behavior of particles?

Due to the Pauli exclusion principle, fermions exhibit a phenomenon known as "spin," where they have an intrinsic angular momentum that determines their behavior. This spin also allows fermions to occupy different energy levels, resulting in the structure of atoms and the periodic table.

4. Can the antisymmetry of fermions be observed in everyday life?

While the antisymmetry of fermions is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, its effects are not noticeable in everyday life. However, it plays a crucial role in many technologies, such as transistors in computers, and in understanding the behavior of matter at a microscopic level.

5. How does the antisymmetry of fermions relate to the overall symmetry of the universe?

The antisymmetry of fermions is just one aspect of the overall symmetry of the universe. In fact, the Pauli exclusion principle is a result of a deeper symmetry known as gauge symmetry. Understanding the symmetry of the universe is a major goal of modern physics.