Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone familiar with "GAP" for group arithemetic?

1. Sep 19, 2015 #1
    Hi guys,

There is a software package called GAP for "Groups, Algorithms, and Programming" with emphasis on Group Theory. You can download it for free. I did. However I'm finding it so intractable to use. I would like to find the "missing group" in the Symmetric groups. That is, the group order which divides the size of ##S_n## but is not a subgroup of ##S_n##. I'm sure GAP can do it. So far I got the following code down:

(* first just get the group *)
    mygroup:=SymmetricGroup(4);
    subgroups:=AllSubgroups(mygroup);

and that's about as far as I can go with it for now. At this point "subgroups" contain all the subgroups of mygroup. I would like then to create a table of group size, total subgroups, then I can find the missing ones.

Anyone here familiar with using GAP can help me with this?

Thanks,
    Jack

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2015 #2
  4. Sep 24, 2015 #3
    Hi Greg,

I'm making progress with the code. I had started another thread pertaining to the data from GAP where I posted a brilliant piece of GAP code I painfully pieced together:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/converse-of-lagranges-theorem-for-groups.833243/

I contacted their support as you suggested for another project I'm working on this time pertaining to conjugate classes in the symmetric groups. Thanks,

Jack

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook