Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone Know the Value of Old Liqueurs?

1. Mar 8, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone.

In our house we have a cherry liqueur which belonged to my grandparents. There's no 'brand name' or whatever you would call it, but the label says it's from 1911, and also 'The Royal Horticultural Society London Gold Medal'. It also says J. Ledgwick & Co. Ltd, Cape Town.

I'd like to know if anybody knows roughly what it would be worth? I ask because I came in to the kitchen today to find my mother had opened it and drank some, in the process dropping some of the cork into the liqueur.

I looked here and liqueurs from the early 20th century seem to be worth at least a few hundred £, but those seem to be famous 'brands'.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2014 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Being opened??
    About 0 £, I'd say..

4. Mar 8, 2014 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

As for the Gold Medal, RHS is a gardening society, so the liquer was probably a prize, rather than the winner in a liqueur competition.

5. Mar 8, 2014 #4
    Yeah, I get that, I was asking how much it was worth before it was opened, clearly...
    And I thought it was a prize, after all I know what 'horticultural' means, but it still is (was) a liqueur from 1911, so it must have been worth something, right? That's what I'd like to know.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  6. Mar 8, 2014 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So, you wish to know that, in order to have a leverage in future quarrels with your mum?? :biggrin:

7. Mar 8, 2014 #6
    Of course, any way to get one over her, for once, ...

8. Mar 8, 2014 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I had a quick check on an old collection site, liqueurs seemed to go for a few hundred quids or so (up to one going for 3700£)

9. Mar 8, 2014 #8
    Thanks for replying with the same info I gave in the OP, terribly helpful, old chum.

10. Mar 8, 2014 #9

Borek

Staff: Mentor

In such a case, that would be my starting point.

11. Mar 8, 2014 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Anyhow, this was the site I checked:
    http://www.oldliquors.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=18&lang=en [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  12. Mar 8, 2014 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the only important question is: did it taste good?

13. Mar 8, 2014 #12
    I don't know, I don't drink. Maybe I should ask my mother if it tastes like £3700, what do you think?

14. Mar 8, 2014 #13
    Don't lose hope because it's opened! Have you looked closely to see if there's a stain on the label that looks like Jesus or Saint Tekle Haymanot?

15. Mar 8, 2014 #14

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Can't think of a better question.

16. Mar 16, 2014 #15
    That price is including the profit margin of the seller. When you try to sell it to a seller, you may be getting a much less value. Considering the low volume of the product, I would guess more than 70% would be the margin.

Hope this will make you feel better :)

17. Mar 17, 2014 #16

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Send it over so we can evaluate it for you. We'll let you know if it tastes cheap or expensive...

18. Mar 18, 2014 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

His mother drunked it, one nip at a time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook