Anyone watched George Clooney's "The Midnight Sky"?

• Thread starter Melbourne Guy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sky
In summary, the conversation discusses the movie "The Midnight Sky" and the mixed opinions on it. One person had a lukewarm reaction to it while another person is questioning whether it is worth continuing to watch. They mention being skeptical of reviews and ask for others' opinions on the movie.
Melbourne Guy
I'd seen George talking about The Midnight Sky on Graham Norton's show, and it seemed a bit meh, but at a loose end, I started watching it yesterday. Gotta say, it is the first time I have upped the play speed on Netflix to 1.25 and even then, it dragged.

Being about thirty-five minutes in and still not hooked, I was wondering whether anyone else has seen the whole thing, and can opine on the merits of sticking with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say you're not alone
1654911295462.png

• Sad
Likes Melbourne Guy
phinds said:
I'd say you're not alone
View attachment 302675
I'm increasingly sceptical of reviews so tend not to look first, @phinds, but in this case...

1. What is the plot of "The Midnight Sky"?

The Midnight Sky follows Augustine, a lonely scientist in the Arctic, as he races to stop a group of astronauts from returning to Earth after a global catastrophe.

2. Who stars in "The Midnight Sky"?

The film stars George Clooney as Augustine, along with Felicity Jones, David Oyelowo, Tiffany Boone, and Kyle Chandler.

3. Is "The Midnight Sky" based on a book?

Yes, the film is based on the 2016 novel "Good Morning, Midnight" by Lily Brooks-Dalton.

4. What is the overall message of "The Midnight Sky"?

The film explores themes of isolation, regret, and the consequences of human actions on the planet. It also emphasizes the importance of human connection and the hope for a better future.

5. What was the filming process like for "The Midnight Sky"?

The film was shot in Iceland and the Canary Islands, with director George Clooney describing the production as challenging due to the harsh weather conditions. The space scenes were created using a combination of practical effects and CGI.