1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Applied Math Careers(Finance, Statstics,etc)

1. Jul 18, 2010 #1
    Hello, I am in my final 18 months of my Applied Math BS. I am at the point where I can specialize in a few different areas, I could either take elective courses in Stats or in a more General Applied/Computation/Modelling track. I'm not sure what I want to do with my degree once I'm done yet but ideally would like be in a good position for a well paying job right out of my bachelors degree.

For various reasons I don't wish to peruse a Master's degree at this point in my life and look forward to getting established in a career. What good paying potential careers are there for a BS in Math? What things could I do in my final 18 months to increase my employability as a freshly minted grad?

I plan on living in NYC once I graduate so I considered possibly a job as a Quantitative Analyst, can you get that with BS in math from a state university? Are there other jobs in Finance I'd be qualified for? Also, how about the same questions for Stats?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2010 #2
    Well, the bad news is that you most likely will have a hard time getting hired as a Quant with only a Bachelors degree. The good news is that you can get a decent paying job in many other fields when you graduate. Ground floor business and finance positions will probably be your best bet. Just keep in mind, with only a bachelors chances are you'll spend the rest of your years working in a career where you'll do no higher maths. if you're okay with that, than get your resume together and good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook