How to start a career in physics having a degree in applied math?

In summary, the person is seeking advice on pursuing a career in physics with a Bachelor's degree in mathematics. They have a good understanding of physics and are interested in experimental physics, but are unsure about transitioning without lab experience. They ask about the possibility of achieving this with a BSc or MSc in applied math and the potential job opportunities in the field. The advice given is to speak to an academic advisor about the requirements for a PhD program and to keep in mind that learning topics on their own may not be sufficient. They are also advised to consider the competitive nature of academia and the potential for finding related careers in data science, engineering, and research.
ricky33
Hello, I have a Bachelor's degree in mathematics and I want to pursue a career in physics. I have a good understanding of physics and have the ability to learn very advanced topics by myself just by reading college books and solving the exercises. I am more attracted to experimental physics but I think it's harder to transition to the experimental side without having lab experience. So my hopes are that I land a job in anything related to physics (theoretical or computational) and from there make my way into experimental. Is it possible to achieve that with a BSc or an MSc in applied math? What are the possible positions that I can apply to? What is the most physics-related job that I can get if I'm willing to learn all the topics that a physics major learns?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you seriously want to pursue physics as a career, your best bet is to look into what will be required for you to get into a PhD program from where you're at. Likely you'll need to complete a few courses at the undergraduate level that weren't part of your applied math program to qualify for admission, but it's best if you speak to an academic advisor about the details.

Note that learning topics on your own won't count for much, I'm afraid.

The other thing to think about is what specifically you mean by "a career in physics." If you mean academia, keep in mind that this is an extremely competitive field. The majority of people who earn PhDs eventually leave academia. Many end up going into the commercial/industrial sector and work in data science, programming, engineering, research and development, technical sales, etc. and find careers that are tangentially related to their physics background, but are not specifically doing the physics they envisioned when they embarked on their educational paths.

1. How can I use my degree in applied math to start a career in physics?

Having a degree in applied math can be a great foundation for a career in physics. Many concepts and techniques used in applied math are also applicable in physics, such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. You can also focus on courses or research projects that have an overlap between the two fields, such as mathematical physics or computational physics.

2. What are some potential job opportunities for someone with a degree in applied math and a passion for physics?

There are many career paths that combine applied math and physics, such as working as a data scientist or analyst in a physics research lab, or as a mathematical modeler for a company that specializes in developing new technologies. You could also pursue a graduate degree in physics to become a researcher or professor in the field.

3. Do I need to have a degree in physics to work in the field?

While having a degree in physics can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Many employers value the problem-solving and analytical skills that come with a degree in applied math, and you can always supplement your knowledge by taking additional physics courses or gaining experience through internships or research projects.

4. How can I make myself stand out to potential employers as a candidate with a degree in applied math and an interest in physics?

One way to stand out is by gaining hands-on experience through internships or research projects. This can also help you develop a portfolio of projects that showcase your skills and interests in both fields. Networking and attending events or conferences related to physics can also help you make connections and learn about job opportunities.

5. Are there any specific skills or knowledge I should focus on to prepare for a career in physics with a degree in applied math?

In addition to the core concepts and skills in applied math, it can be helpful to have a strong foundation in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. You may also want to familiarize yourself with computational tools and programming languages used in physics, such as MATLAB or Python. Taking courses or doing research in areas that interest you within physics can also help you develop specialized knowledge and skills.