Applying To a PhD program before finishing your master's degree

In summary, transferring to the Ph.D. program here would be the easiest option, but having your bachelor's in engineering would be an impediment to some Canadian institutions.
gerardofingurbe
Hello , So let me explain my situation and why I want to do this, I'm currently in a physics' master at CINVESTAV, Mexico , my bachelor's degree is in electronics engineering and I obtained it at URBE in Venezuela, I'm Venezuelan and when I decided to leave Venezuela I did it with the intention of pursuing a better life not doing a masters or continuing my studies , right now I finished my masters mandatory courses , I will take 2 optatives and work on my thesis, I will be finishing by August next year and it will take a few months before I get my diploma, as I don't want to go back to Venezuela and my residence is a student residence when I finish my studies i will lose it , so my question is if anyone knows about a Ph.D. program that allows you to apply while still doing your master's thesis, I'd be great help if it was fully funded, if not at least I'd expect the country the Ph.D. program is at allows you to work on a student residence

PD: My interest area is Quantum information and Quantum entanglement

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how it works in Mexico, but in my experience in Canada, that's pretty much how everyone applies to the PhD. In the final year of an MSc program, they apply to fall admission into the PhD program. Admission is granted, but often conditional on having completed the MSc by a certain date. This avoids students having to take a gap year. It's also quite common to transfer into a PhD program directly from an MSc if you're planning at staying in the same institution and expanding your thesis project.

yeah, transferring to the Ph.D. here would be kind of the easiest option, however, I'd to have some more, thanks a lot for your answer, do you think that having my bachelor's in engineering would be an impediment to some Canadian institutions?

1. Can I apply for a PhD program before completing my master's degree?

Yes, it is possible to apply for a PhD program before finishing your master's degree. However, each program may have different requirements and it is important to carefully review the application guidelines before applying.

2. Will not having a completed master's degree affect my chances of getting into a PhD program?

It is possible that not having a completed master's degree may affect your chances of getting into a PhD program. Admissions committees may consider your academic achievements and potential, as well as your research experience and letters of recommendation, when evaluating your application.

3. Do I need to have a specific GPA to apply for a PhD program before finishing my master's degree?

The GPA requirements for PhD programs vary depending on the institution and program. Some programs may require a minimum GPA for admission, while others may consider a combination of factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and statement of purpose.

4. Is it possible to transfer credits from my master's degree towards a PhD program?

It is possible to transfer credits from your master's degree towards a PhD program, but it ultimately depends on the policies of the institution and program. Some programs may allow a certain number of credits to be transferred, while others may not accept any transfer credits at all.

5. Can I still work on my master's degree while pursuing a PhD?

It is possible to work on your master's degree while pursuing a PhD, but it may be challenging to balance both programs simultaneously. It is important to carefully consider your workload and time management skills before making this decision. Additionally, some programs may not allow students to pursue multiple degrees at the same time.