1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approaching potential graduate supervisors

1. Jul 2, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I am considering applying to graduate school for study in statistics in possibly a year or two. I know from studying both at residential universities and distance learning that I respond well to supervisors who provide good pastoral support and can have a chat about more than just coursework.

I do not enjoy working with, or respond well to, supervisors who are all business or quite hands off. I feel like I am communicating with a sophisticated search engine: lots of useful, relevant information but not exactly friendly.

How might I find out what potential supervisors are like, without coming across as weird or inappropriate? Can I just ask the admissions office for email addresses of current graduate students? Or is it OK to make contact with lecturers and ask their supervisory style?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2014 #2

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

I would ask their students.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook