1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Approaching potential supervisor about a PhD

1. Dec 31, 2011 #1
    Hello to all,

I have seen a PhD advertised on my local university's website. What's the best way to acquire information about the project or (I suppose what I'm trying to ask is here is) what's the proper etiquette for first contact with a potential supervisor to ask about the PhD?

Should I just e-mail him and say I am interested in the project and have a degree in physics, or ask him can I go in to the university to discuss it? Any thoughts? I've read some of the articles posted on the PhD webpage and find the area fascinating, so I'd really like to be in with a shot of applying for it.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Just e-mail him and say that you're interested. Ask if he has some current projects where you can work on (or mention a specific project that you're interested in). He will likely invite you to have a talk...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook