Are Poppy Seed Muffins Delicious Because They Contain Morphine?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date Start date

Do you like muffins?

  • Yes, i love them

    Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No, I do not like them

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh... sometimes...

    Votes: 6 42.9%

  • Total voters
    14
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 3K views
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Messages
5,112
Reaction score
20
I'm eating a muffin right now... oh gawd its so delicious... i can't really explain the deliciousness of this muffin right now. Its banana nut.. mmmmm...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Within two seconds of reading your post, I have decided to immediatly go and synthesize some for myself, even if it is 3:40 in the the morning.

Back in half an hour or so.
 
I'd probably be a badass cook if i had like, a kitchen setup as a lab...
 
Yeah it'd be like, we're out of bananas? No big deal, I'll just synthesize some pentyl ethanoate and substitute.

(by the way - I am in fact out of bananas. I ate too many yesterday, I'll have to make muffins with something else. Maybe shredded apple or carrot.)
 
Oh. This answers all of my questions.
 
Almost done baking... volatile organic compounds (of the good-smelling kind) diffuse through the air, in a thermal way.
 
I used fifteen different ingredients, including shredded carrots and apples, and three kinds of grains.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
honestrosewater said:
Oh. This answers all of my questions.

And what is that supposed to mean?
 
Share hte recipes if any of them come out really good :D
 
The any fruit muffin mix

2 c. plain flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 tbsp. double action baking powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 egg
1 c. milk
1/4 c. salad oil

Mix. Add 3/4 to 1 cup of any kind of fruit/ nut mixture. Stir. Grease muffin pan, fill 2/3's full. Bake 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

You can easily cut this reciepe in half, to not make as much.
 
I used a recipe on the back of a box of flaxseed. It's a basic muffic recipe, except you add flaxseed. I used apples and carrots, shredded, and random ingredients I thought looked interesting (almond extract, lemon juice, nutmeg).

375mL flour (250ml = 1 cup)
125mL oat bran (I substitute rolled oats)
125mL flaxseed
200mL (I think?) brown sugar
250mL apple, shredded (two small apples or one large)
250mL carrot, shredded (almost two)
2 tsp. baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 tsp. baking powder (calcium phosphate, starch)
2 eggs
175mL milk
1 tsp extracts of vanilla
some quantity of almond extracts (I don't know, I sort of spilled it...)
nutmeg
salt
lemon juice (to neutralize the excess baking soda I spilled)
 
I voted for 'love them', but must qualify that. I occassionally like to buy a box of jumbleberry or chocolate chip ones from the local store. They're quite large (about like a standard grapefruit), and great while fresh. If I had to eat a homemade one, I'd go with Hypatia's recipe. The other one has all of that health-food junk that wrecks the experience. (I might get homemade ones now, though, since the not-wife likes to cook and is very good at it.)
 
rachmaninoff said:
I used a recipe on the back of a box of flaxseed. It's a basic muffic recipe, except you add flaxseed.
You don't have bananas, but you have flaxseed in your kitchen? :rolleyes:
 
Moonbear said:
You don't have bananas, but you have flaxseed in your kitchen?
I was out of bananas. Normally there are several dozen stacked up, then they disappear in a few days. Hours, if there's an exam coming up.
 
Danger said:
The other one has all of that health-food junk that wrecks the experience.

That's what confuses me about Americanized culture, the only foods are peanut oil and high-fructose corn syrup. Something as basic as oats or apples is a radical idea. No one could possibly eat something like that, right? Must be a health-food fad. Yup. :rolleyes:
 
rachmaninoff said:
I was out of bananas. Normally there are several dozen stacked up, then they disappear in a few days. Hours, if there's an exam coming up.
you could make zucchini muffins then, oh you are out of those too? how about carrot cake muffins then, they are not o...oh no carrots either? hmmm
 
Poppy seed muffins the best. Probably because of the morphine. :-p