Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are spirits affected by laws of physics or forces of nature?

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    If anyone of you know a thing or two about spirits if they are affected by forces of nature like gravity, wind, matter, etc.

Not that you have witnessed or experienced beforehand but maybe you possess 2nd hand knowledge regarding this matter. Also not that they are real, I just want info whether it's fiction or not.

Are they affected by relativity, and black holes too?? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

First, there is no proof of existence of anything referred to as spirits. This makes answering any of your questions impossible.

Sorry.

4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    Yes, spirits ARE affected by gravity. You want proof? Drop some spirits out of a window. Doesn't matter which spirit you use, vodka, gin, whatever. It WILL fall.

5. Sep 25, 2008 #4

Evo

My bad, yes some spirits are affected, such as spirit of turpentine.

6. Sep 25, 2008 #5
    I wonder if you asked the same question at psychicforums if they would say "First, there is no proof of existence of anything referred to as black holes. This makes answering any of your questions impossible.

Sorry."

7. Sep 25, 2008 #6
    Oh I mean spirits of dead people. You don't have to believe those to answer my questions. I just want to know if you read something that mentions about it or heard someone talk about it.

This doesn't need to be so serious. But don't invent stories/ideas pls.

@tribdog, exactly why I asked here.

8. Sep 25, 2008 #7

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm a spirit and I'm affected by gravity. :cool: I wish I weren't.

9. Sep 25, 2008 #8
    If its not serious than how do you expect even REMOTELY serious answers on this predominantly scientific and furthermore, atheist, forum?

10. Sep 25, 2008 #9
    Considering that fact...does Laplace's demon count?

11. Sep 25, 2008 #10
    Hey! Atleast there's a consistent (for all practical purposes) theory (with very reasonable support by other means) for black holes! Spirits (not the liquid kind) have none!
    This is a wake-up call for psychics- get a consistent theory, then look for 'evidence'. XD

12. Sep 25, 2008 #11
    Call in the Ghostbusters.

13. Sep 25, 2008 #12
    play less games!

14. Sep 25, 2008 #13
    Spirits cannot be detected for their existence because they're double invisible. They exist underneath the layer of invisibility which cannot be detected yet by human instrumentation.

15. Sep 26, 2008 #14

Evo

I think we've said all we can say. Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?