Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there closed curve solutions for these ODE constraints?

1. Mar 25, 2015 #1
    Are there closed curve solutions for ##\mathbf{v}(t) \in \mathbb{R}^3## satisfying this constraint?
    $$\mathbf{v}(t) \cdot \frac{d^2}{dt^2}\mathbf{v} = 0 $$

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

I do not understand your question. All velocities of type v(t) = a⋅t + v0 are trivial solutions.

4. Mar 26, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unless v(t) is identically 0, so there is no motion at all, you equation just says that the acceleration is 0 so, as Svein says, the only solutions are straight line trajectories.

5. Mar 26, 2015 #4
    Thanks for your replies. To be clear I meant

$$\sum_{i=1}^3 v_i \frac{d^2 v_i}{d t^2} = 0 $$

In other words acceleration is orthogonal to position. So ##\mathbf{v}(t) \neq 0## does not obviously (to me) imply ##\frac{d^2}{dt^2}\mathbf{v}(t) = 0##. I may still be that the trivial solutions mentioned above are the only ones, but I'm not sure at the moment.

6. Mar 26, 2015 #5

Svein

Science Advisor

Ah. That is a different proposition. Of course, the trivial solutions are still solutions, but...

If an object rotates in a circle around a point, the acceleration is orthogonal to velocity, but I do not know offhand any solution to acceleration orthogonal to position. A logarithmic spiral springs to mind, but there acceleration is never quite orthogonal to position (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithmic_spiral ).

7. Mar 26, 2015 #6
    Yes non-trivial solutions exist.

Consider the case where [itex]\frac{d^2}{dt^2} v_x = v_z [/itex] ,[itex] \frac{d^2}{dt^2}v_z = - v_x[/itex], and [itex] v_y=0 [/itex].

Here [itex]\vec V \cdot \frac{d^2}{dt^2}\vec V =0 [/itex].

You can solve for [itex] v_x [/itex] and [itex] v_z [/itex]. This amounts to solving the 4-th order ODE [itex]\frac{d^4}{dt^4} v_x + v_x =0 [/itex]. Real solutions to this equation exist. The resulting expression for [itex] v_z [/itex] is also real.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook