Are there tense and lax consonants in English?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 2K views
fxdung
Messages
387
Reaction score
23
Do tenseness and laxness of consonants in English depend on people saying them?Or are there tense and lax consonants in English?If there are, which consonants(in English) are tense and which are lax consonants?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fxdung said:
Do tenseness and laxness of consonants in English depend on people saying them?Or are there tense and lax consonants in English?If there are, which consonants(in English) are tense and which are lax consonants?
Yes. If you want to learn classical BBC English then listen to Christopher Hitchens. Probably the most beautiful orator I have ever come across.
Richard Dawkins is also very well spoken and speaks what I would regard as perfect English.
Aesthetically pleasing on the ear to a Brit but that is just me. Others may differ.
 
I've a question for you. Why are you asking these questions here, on >physics< forums? I don't think we have a single working linguist active on these boards. Or an EFL teacher. You'd be better served in a dedicated forum for learners of English.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dextercioby and Vanadium 50
The better question is whether he asks his physics questions on the language forums. :wink:
 
You might try searching for fortis and lenis, which are the technical terms that linguists use for "tense" and "lax". I remember them from a textbook on German phonetics that I used when I was an undergraduate. I think I mentioned that book in one of your other threads on pronunciation.