Are UK councils turning off street lights from 11pm to 5am?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lights
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 4K views
wolram said:
Danger, go be a good citizen and pull up some of those thistles growing from you pavements :approve:
Pull them up?! You great flying lunatic! Cut the tops off is how to do it! If I pull them up, what the hell would I have to make my wine from next year?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
NoTime said:
In VT they often put a lamp at intersections on major roads.
It does help find that little sideroad slotted in amongst all the trees and bushes. Even in the daytime the lampost often is easier to find than the street.:smile:
I wish we had that around here. There are a few side roads that go pretty steeply downhill between a bunch of trees...you pretty much have to just have faith that there is a road there until you've made the turn onto it. :eek:

I wouldn't mind the off ramp lighting so much, but places like CT just light the highway end to end
That's pretty much how it is in NJ too...I think the roads are like that all the way down through DC at least, with the exception of some stretches down in South Jersey, but that's changing as that gets overcrowded now too. When I moved away from NJ, it actually took me a while to adjust to night driving in the dark...I kept thinking, "Why can't these crazy people put up street lights so you can see where you're going!" But, I adjusted pretty quickly, and I really only had trouble at the on and off ramps of some really dark roads. It wasn't like there was a steady stream of cars around though, so I could slow down a lot and just look for it without driving anyone else bonkers. After then moving back to places with lots of street lights, I realized I preferred not having them. I have a hard enough time sleeping at night without the place being constantly lit up by bright lights.