Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

As Requested New (though old) Member Introduction

1. Jan 16, 2015 #1
    I'm a near-60 physician w/ some research interests at the periphery of my career (mostly a clinician). Since I enjoy looking at things through a mathematical lens, I occasionally stumble onto research possibilities that pique my interest. I've one such now, but it will take a little more currency in my DiffyQ knowledge than I have. So I'm working through an ODE text (Boyce/Prima, 10th Ed), after just completing a work-through of the most recent Thomas'. I'm looking forward to being able to beg for help, and maybe someday even contribute help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2015 #2

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Larry! I have a pain in my ankle that won't go away.... ;)

4. Jan 16, 2015 #3
    OK, so first we have to check your HMO status ... :))

(But seriously; I'm actually fine w/ discussing clinical stuff, as long as everybody involved recognizes that here I can't be considered a "really doctor" (in the words of one of my [now grown] daughters, circa kindergarden). Still, it is surprisingly difficult sometimes to get seemingly simple medical questions answered -- of course, they're not always simple -- and for my friends on- and off-line I consider that part of trying to pretend I'm a decent human to help tackle such questions. So I'm never bothered by someone asking. {Also, I should note I'm a internist. So, as the old medical joke goes, I know everything, but can do NOTHING. As opposed to a surgeon, who knows nothing, but can do EVERYTHING. <sigh>}

And of course, that all may be WAY TMI for this arena!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook