Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrophysics in a quantum universe

1. Jun 19, 2013 #1
    I have read a number of the popular books on astrophysics/cosmology and a number on quantum physics. oddly astrophysics does not seem to be a continuation of quantum physics. Quantum physics seem to be much more theoretical than astrophysics. Empirical astrophysics leads to unknowns such as missing mass in the universe. to a layman (me) it seems that astrophysics and quantum physics should be a continuation.

I assume that the missing mass in the universe was produced in the big bang. The LHC states they are working at energy levels near the big bang. will the LHC data every produce dark matter or dark energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There are searches for dark matter at the LHC, indeed.
    Dark energy... if (!) it has some associated particle, the LHC might be able to produce it.

In theory, everything should follow quantum physics - but you do not want to describe the motion of a car by looking at all its 1000000000000000000000000000000* particles inside!

*lower bound

4. Jun 19, 2013 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you have in mind by "continuation". Astrophysicists studies certain things, quantum physicists study other things, but there is no real conflict (except below). For example, how stars work (an astrophysics questions) requires a lot of quantum theory to explain.

The only problem area is what is going on when general relativity and quantum thoery are both needed, such as what is happening inside black holes?

5. Jun 19, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the heads up. Lhc was interesting reading.

6. Feb 23, 2014 #5
    I was wondering a similiar question, yet nobody answered. Can you write theoretical astrophysics papers focusing on quantum mechanics? Perhaps gravity can be brought into the speculations, like Penrose sugggested, to account for quantum phenomenons.
    Why does the study have to be at just stars, and not electrons as well?

http://astro.uchicago.edu/courses/index.php

"The Origin and <Evolution> of the Universe"

"the unity of basic physical law; and the connection between the subatomic properties of nature and the observed macroscopic universe."

It does not seem to explicitly prohibit Quantum physics from any form of theoretical astrophysics.

http://astro.uchicago.edu/courses/index.php

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook