Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asymptotic behaviour of 1st order ODE

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    I have a first order ODE
    [tex]
    yy'=a(x)+b(x)c(y)
    [/tex]
    and all I want to know is [itex]y'(\infty)[/itex]. Is there an easy way to find out or at least for some special forms of [itex]c(y)[/itex]?

Eventually I'd like to find functions a, b, c such that there is a solution with [itex](x=\infty,y=-V)[/itex] [itex](x=\infty,y=V\alpha)[/itex] for any V where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a given factor. Preferably with [itex]a(x)=-Ax^{-n}[/itex]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

If you know that [tex]y(\infty)=-V[/tex], so you know that [tex]y'(\infty)=[a(\infty)+b(\infty)c(-V)]/(-V)[/tex], you must know beforehand what are b,c,a are to find it.

4. Nov 22, 2009 #3
    I can chose a, b, c as given. And V is basically whatever y' is in one solution.
    The important point is that the other y' solution at infinity should be a given factor [itex]\alpha[/itex] of the first solution.
    Maybe I should say where the problem came from. I basically want to find a physical law such that an object bouncing off a wall will lose a given part [itex]1-\alpha[/itex] of its velocity. So I have the wall force a and the damping force b which should both be concentrated at the wall only.
    And [itex]yy'[/itex] is the force on the particle after a mathematical transformation.

Oh I just notice I might have mixed up the variables after the transformation...
    I want to know (x,y) as given with the points. I don't need y'.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook