Attempting a polyphasic sleep pattern

• Thread starter ecneicS
  • Start date
Polywhatawhosea? Polyphasic sleeping is when u break up your sleep into smaller sections throughout the day. You condition your body to naturally hit REM sleep right when u fall asleep so you get the restorative qualities of REM sleep yet you sleep only a fraction of what you would with one core sleep

. I am attempting this schedule and for the first few days will be completely sleep deprived. I am looking for mindless activities that are not physically or mentally burdening but at the same time engaging and can help me get my mind off sleep. What I have so far is..

Cleaning
Walking
Stretching
Playing video games (but which ones?)o
Guitar
Putting coins in coin sleeves (i have at least 1000 coins)

Let me know your ideas please!

Answers and Replies

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So, why are you wanting to do this?

Taking derivatives of simple polynomials?

Look at the clock and find the prime factorization of the time every minute. See how long you can keep up.

Evo
Mentor
So, why are you wanting to do this?
Good question.

Look at the clock and find the prime factorization of the time every minute. See how long you can keep up.

And that, is why I was skeptical about posting this on a physics forum. Any real help?

Taking derivatives of simple polynomials?

That's actually a good idea I misread it as a joke initially.

Evo
Mentor
What you are attempting is not healthy.
Misconception 3: The body adjusts quickly to different sleep schedules.
The biological clock that times and controls a person’s sleep/wake cycle will attempt to function according to a normal day/night schedule even when that person tries to change it. Those who work night shifts naturally feel sleepy when nighttime comes. A similar feeling that occurs during travel is known as jet lag. (See Major Concepts, section 3.5.) This conflict, set up by trying to be active during the brain’s biological nighttime, leads to a decrease in cognitive and motor skills.

http://science.education.nih.gov/supplements/nih3/sleep/guide/info-sleep.htm