Attempting to transfer to MIT (wishful thinking I know)

Hello,

For a while now, I've been dreaming of attending MIT.

My question is: What would the sucessful transfer application of a physics major look like?

-would I have a better chance of acceptance based on the fact that physics is less common that say engineering?
-does high school stuff (sat,gpa,etc.)matter as much?
-how about research?

Answers and Replies

radium
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Physics is very popular at MIT, there are around 70 or so physics majors per year. It would not give you any advantage to apply as a physics major.

Physics is very popular at MIT, there are around 70 or so physics majors per year. It would not give you any advantage to apply as a physics major.
Damn. Well I figured that most transfer students would fall into the engineering categories and that maybe a physics major would be more rare. Either way, I suppose that was worth a shot.

Your best bet is to just go to the schools website and look at their transfer requirements. I doubt that wanting to do physics over engineering will increase your chances.

Your best bet is to just go to the schools website and look at their transfer requirements. I doubt that wanting to do physics over engineering will increase your chances.
Their transfer requirements are pretty obvious. They would want over a 3.5 with various calc and physics courses. I wasn't attempting to bank on the physics major aspect entirely, I just figured I'd ask if it'd help a bit.