1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attempting to transfer to MIT (wishful thinking I know)

1. Jan 12, 2016 #1
    Hello,

For a while now, I've been dreaming of attending MIT.

My question is: What would the sucessful transfer application of a physics major look like?

-would I have a better chance of acceptance based on the fact that physics is less common that say engineering?
    -does high school stuff (sat,gpa,etc.)matter as much?
    -how about research?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2016 #2

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Physics is very popular at MIT, there are around 70 or so physics majors per year. It would not give you any advantage to apply as a physics major.

4. Jan 12, 2016 #3
    Damn. Well I figured that most transfer students would fall into the engineering categories and that maybe a physics major would be more rare. Either way, I suppose that was worth a shot.

5. Jan 12, 2016 #4
    Your best bet is to just go to the schools website and look at their transfer requirements. I doubt that wanting to do physics over engineering will increase your chances.

6. Jan 13, 2016 #5
    Their transfer requirements are pretty obvious. They would want over a 3.5 with various calc and physics courses. I wasn't attempting to bank on the physics major aspect entirely, I just figured I'd ask if it'd help a bit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook