A Career in the Space Industry - Is it wishful thinking?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on pursuing a degree and career in the space industry at the age of 34. They are open to distance learning and are wondering if this is a feasible route. They also inquire about potential job opportunities in the British aerospace industry and express interest in working for companies like Surrey Satellites and EADS. The responders encourage them to pursue their passion and recommend doing more research before making a decision.
rhymers
Hi all,

I'm new here and wanting some advice and this forum came up top in Google when I was hunting around for advice with regards to working in the Space industry.

I'm 34, dropped out of university when I was 19 in the first year (was doing a Physics with Laser Application course at Salford, Greater Manchester, UK) and never got back into it.

So now I find myself with father time on my back, wanting to get that degree and get into the business of putting things (or indirectly helping put things) into space.

Am I being unrealistic? I am realistic when I say I know I can't attend university full-time - have too many other overheads now, but am willing to go the distance learning route.

Just need to know if it's a feasible thing to do or if there are other routes I should pursue.

I'm sure you've all been asked this a thousand times lately so apologies for the repetitiveness of the request.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
rhymers said:
Hi all,

I'm new here and wanting some advice and this forum came up top in Google when I was hunting around for advice with regards to working in the Space industry.

I'm 34, dropped out of university when I was 19 in the first year (was doing a Physics with Laser Application course at Salford, Greater Manchester, UK) and never got back into it.

So now I find myself with father time on my back, wanting to get that degree and get into the business of putting things (or indirectly helping put things) into space.
What exactly do you mean putting things into space? Do you simply want to work on anything that might fly in space eventually - like working for BAE (or similar) on satellite parts, or do you mean you want to work for ESA designing missions?

rhymers said:
Am I being unrealistic? I am realistic when I say I know I can't attend university full-time - have too many other overheads now, but am willing to go the distance learning route.

Just need to know if it's a feasible thing to do or if there are other routes I should pursue.

I'm sure you've all been asked this a thousand times lately so apologies for the repetitiveness of the request.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

In general, anything is possible. I know plenty of people who, at your age or older, went back to school to get a degree (or a different degree), so they could switch fields.

All aspects of working in the space sector are usually very competitive. I am not even sure what the British aerospace industry looks like, are there opportunities for work? Is distance learning going to be a good enough education to compete for the jobs available? These are some questions I would consider answering before embarking on this effort. I don't know the answers myself, but I am sure a few hours online could at least point you in the right direction to answering them.

Norman said:
What exactly do you mean putting things into space? Do you simply want to work on anything that might fly in space eventually - like working for BAE (or similar) on satellite parts, or do you mean you want to work for ESA designing missions?

In general, anything is possible. I know plenty of people who, at your age or older, went back to school to get a degree (or a different degree), so they could switch fields.

All aspects of working in the space sector are usually very competitive. I am not even sure what the British aerospace industry looks like, are there opportunities for work?

Well I am always reading in the business sections of newspapers about how successfull the UK space industry is - so in principle there are lots of jobs (no idea how often someone moves and one comes free though). I suspect all the jobs are in the south of the country though - so bear in mind the cost of living there is horrendous compared to elsewhere.

Two example off the top of my head are Surrey Satellites and EADS.

Why wouldn't it be possible? If you don't do it, you could regret it the rest of your life. You seem like you want to do it, so do it. The worst that could happen is that you get a degree and get more educated, which will pay itself off in no time.

You might also want to do some research into what exactly you want to do. You would probably like aerodynamics, too. Maybe email some professors or get in touch with some physicists who work at Boeing or at a private flight/space research firm or something.

I would say do some more research, and if you still want to do it, go for it.

As a scientist working in the space industry, I can say that pursuing a career in this field is not wishful thinking at all. It is a rapidly growing industry with a wide range of opportunities for individuals with different backgrounds and skill sets. Your interest and passion for the space industry is a great starting point, and it is never too late to pursue your dream career.

Firstly, I would recommend researching different roles and positions within the space industry to get a better understanding of the skills and qualifications required. While a degree in physics or a related field is beneficial, there are also opportunities for individuals with backgrounds in engineering, computer science, and other fields.

Furthermore, there are various routes you can take to enter the space industry, such as internships, apprenticeships, and distance learning programs. It is important to choose a path that aligns with your strengths and interests.

I would also suggest networking and connecting with professionals in the space industry to gain insights and advice on how to enter the field. Attend conferences, workshops, and events related to space exploration to expand your knowledge and make valuable connections.

Lastly, do not let your age deter you from pursuing your dream career. The space industry values experience and diverse perspectives, and you can use your previous work experience to your advantage.

In conclusion, a career in the space industry is not out of reach, and with determination and hard work, you can achieve your goal. Keep researching, networking, and staying updated on the latest developments in the industry. Best of luck on your journey!

1. What qualifications do I need to have a career in the space industry?

The qualifications needed for a career in the space industry vary depending on the specific job role and employer. However, most positions in the space industry require at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as aerospace engineering, physics, or computer science. Additionally, having experience in research, internships, and relevant certifications can also be beneficial.

2. Is it necessary to have prior experience in the space industry to get a job?

While having prior experience in the space industry can be beneficial, it is not always necessary to get a job in the field. Many entry-level positions offer on-the-job training and opportunities for career advancement. However, having relevant experience in a related field or completing internships can give you an edge over other candidates.

3. What are the job prospects for a career in the space industry?

The job prospects for a career in the space industry are constantly growing and evolving. With the increasing interest in space exploration and the rise of private space companies, there are plenty of job opportunities in the field. Some of the most in-demand job roles include engineers, scientists, technicians, and mission controllers.

4. Is a career in the space industry financially stable?

A career in the space industry can be financially stable, but it ultimately depends on the specific job and employer. Generally, jobs in the space industry tend to pay higher than average salaries due to the specialized skills and knowledge required. However, the level of financial stability may vary depending on the specific field, job role, and company.

5. What are the necessary skills for a successful career in the space industry?

The necessary skills for a successful career in the space industry include strong technical and analytical skills, problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and a strong understanding of mathematics and physics. Additionally, having good communication, teamwork, and adaptability skills can also be beneficial in a fast-paced and collaborative industry like space exploration.