Australia's largest optical telescope

In summary, the conversation was about a road trip around the state of NSW, Australia and visiting various observatories and telescopes. The largest optical scope in Australia, the 3.9m AAT, was mentioned along with a setting moon photo taken at the Siding Springs Observatory. The photo was a result of pure luck and was compared to another serendipitous moment of capturing a partial solar eclipse.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
Have been doing a bit of a road trip around the state of NSW, Australia, over this last week.
Visited the Parkes 36m radio telescope. Then on to Coonabarabran and the home of the Siding
Springs Observatory complex.
One of the several scopes here is the 3.9m AAT (Anglo-Australian Telescope)The largest optical
scope in Australia

1) Dome and Moon -- moon setting
2) view of scope from public observation room
3) aerial view from 30m above visitor carpark (quad-copter drone)
4) scope info

IMG_8743sm.jpg

IMG_8774sm.jpg

jm  AAT Observatory.jpg

IMG_8770sm.jpg

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_8743sm.jpg
    IMG_8743sm.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_8770sm.jpg
    IMG_8770sm.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_8774sm.jpg
    IMG_8774sm.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 677
  • jm  AAT Observatory.jpg
    jm AAT Observatory.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
Likes mikenw, Drakkith, Buzz Bloom and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I like the setting moon photo. Did you plan for it or was it just serendipitous?

It looks like the scope is projecting the moon image.

Likes davenn
jedishrfu said:
I like the setting moon photo. Did you plan for it or was it just serendipitous?
pure luck ... was driving along the road around 2 km before the turn off to go up the mountain to the observatory. I glanced up through
a clearing in the trees and saw the main scope dome. Then saw the moon right above it. Found a spot to quickly stop the car and
then walk back about 50m to again get the moon over the dome. 20 to 30 minutes later and the Moon would have been too low.

Dave

Likes jedishrfu
My wife had a serendipitous moment like that and she didn’t realize it until months later. She took a sunset photo and there was a curious black circle partially occluding the sun which she thought at the time was a circular shaped cloud. She used it as her screen display on her iPad.

I saw it thought was pretty odd and looked up the date to discover a solar eclipse event that was supposedly viewable in Arizona but not in Texas. Surprise surprise she photographed a partial solar eclipse.

Likes davenn

What is Australia's largest optical telescope?

Australia's largest optical telescope is the Anglo-Australian Telescope (AAT), located at the Siding Spring Observatory in New South Wales.

What is the size of the AAT?

The AAT has a primary mirror diameter of 3.9 meters, making it one of the largest telescopes in the world.

What type of research is conducted using the AAT?

The AAT is primarily used for astronomical research, including studying galaxies, stars, planets, and other celestial objects.

When was the AAT first commissioned?

The AAT was first commissioned in 1974 and has since undergone several upgrades to improve its capabilities.

Can the AAT be visited by the public?

Yes, the AAT is open to the public for tours and stargazing events. However, access to the telescope itself is restricted to trained astronomers and researchers.

Back