Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Austrian village votes for name change

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2
    No, They should not change the name. They should be proud of it. If it changes we can not tell anymore "Ever been to ...?" ;D

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3
    I wish I lived in a town where half-naked women would pose under street signs... :cry:

5. Apr 18, 2012 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I once saw a picture of one of that town's signs, next to another sign warning drivers to slow down for children: "Bitte, nicht zu schnell!" ("Please, not too fast!")

6. Apr 21, 2012 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

UPDATE:

The ****ingers has now ended their vote, and chose to remain ****ingers in the future as well.
    :smile:

7. Apr 21, 2012 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Shouldn't they just be ****ers? :confused:

By the bye, why is that I got an infraction for typing asterisks in place of a questionable word in a different thread, and everyone on this thread is doing it freely?

8. Apr 21, 2012 #7
    That was my thought.

9. Apr 21, 2012 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Thee and me, Stats. You think so much like me that sometimes it scares me.
    (Well, you're a lot better at the thinking than I am, but at least we're on the same track.) :biggrin:

10. Apr 21, 2012 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Both in the Telegraph in the Norwegian daily, the correct term is Guckingers, rather than Guckers (or something like that).

11. Apr 21, 2012 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Right. Sorry. I forgot that we were dealing with German/(French? What's the other aspect of Austria?) I was applying English language conventions where they don't belong. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

12. Apr 21, 2012 #11
    Jimmy is a nice name.

13. Apr 21, 2012 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

However..the name originates, it seems, from a 7th century Bavarian nobleman called Focko, according to The Telegraph.
    Perhaps the Fockers would be the proper name for the villagers??

14. Apr 21, 2012 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Quite possibly, but there's always the chance that some moron in Hollywood would try to sue them for copyright infringement.
    This reminds me of one of my favourite jokes, but I can't repeat it here. Leave it suffice to be said that it involves both the name and someone like Andre. :devil:

15. Apr 21, 2012 #14
    Ahhhhh... that relieves me. :approve: For sometime, I was really worried that they are going to change the name.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook