Average values of operators of potential and kinetic energy

In summary: Therefore, ##\langle T \rangle = -\hbar \omega/4 \langle a^{+2}-a^+a-aa^++a^2 \rangle## is in general nonzero, which means ##\langle T \rangle## is not equal to ##\langle U \rangle## in general. So, in summary, for a quantum LHO in an eigenstate, the expectation values of kinetic and potential energy are equal and can also be equal in a superposition of states, but this is not always the case and depends on the specific states involved in the superposition. Additionally, the calculation for the virial theorem only works for <E>, not for <T> and <V>.
LagrangeEuler
In case of quantum LHO in eigen state of the system ##|n \rangle##
[tex] \langle \hat{T} \rangle=\langle \hat{U} \rangle=\frac{1}{2}(n+\frac{1}{2})\hbar \omega [/tex]
What will happened in some superposition of states? Does Ehrenfest theorem can tell me something more general? Is it possible to say that
[tex] \langle \hat{T} \rangle=\langle \hat{U} \rangle[/tex]
in any prepared state?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean here by a supperposition of states? I mean when you take the average of these quantities, you are averaging them with one state of the harmonic oscillator. However, if your state is a superposition of states, the calculation can be done in the same way. I would start by taking a state which is a superposition of two, for example:

[tex] | n\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|0\rangle + |1\rangle )[/tex]

and see what do you obtain. Then, you can generalize the case of an infinite superposition of states (a vector on the Hilbert space corresponding to the eigenstates of the H0, so just a linear combination of them).

I mean superposition of two eigen states. For example if
##|\psi \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|0\rangle+|1\rangle) ##
Is then
##\langle \hat{T} \rangle_{\psi}=\langle \hat{V} \rangle_{\psi}##? In this case it is. But is it always the case?

LagrangeEuler said:
I mean superposition of two eigen states. For example if
##|\psi \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|0\rangle+|1\rangle) ##
Is then
##\langle \hat{T} \rangle_{\psi}=\langle \hat{V} \rangle_{\psi}##? In this case it is. But is it always the case?

If ##<T> = <U>## in all eigenstates, then clearly ##<T> = <U>## in any state (linear combination of eigenstates). The probability of each state is irrelevant, as whatever eigenstate you find, you will have ##<T> = <U>##.

##<T> = \sum |c_n|^2 <T>_n = \sum |c_n|^2 <U>_n = <U>## (at ##t = 0##)

Edit: Apologies: this is rubbish, of course. That calculation only works for <E>, not for <T> and <V>. As has been pointed out below.

Last edited:
Newbie here, can someone explain what these fancy brackets are?

LagrangeEuler said:
Does Ehrenfest theorem can tell me something more general?
Ehrenfest or virial?
PeroK said:
then clearly <T>=<U> = in any state (linear combination of eigenstates).
Are you sure? Virial theorem was proven under the assumption that the expectation values of kinetic and potential energy were to be taken w.r.t the stationary states, that is the H eigenstate. In fact ## <U-T> = \frac{\omega \hbar}{2}<a^{+2}+a^2>## which in general does not vanish if there are one or more pair of eigenstates in the superposition state which differ in the quantum number by 2.
PeroK said:
<T>=∑|cn|2<T>n
Why have you assumed that ##<T>_{mn} = 0## for ##m\neq n##?

LagrangeEuler said:
In case of quantum LHO in eigen state of the system ##|n \rangle##
[tex] \langle \hat{T} \rangle=\langle \hat{U} \rangle=\frac{1}{2}(n+\frac{1}{2})\hbar \omega [/tex]
What will happened in some superposition of states? Does Ehrenfest theorem can tell me something more general? Is it possible to say that
[tex] \langle \hat{T} \rangle=\langle \hat{U} \rangle[/tex]
in any prepared state?
blue_leaf77 said:
Ehrenfest or virial?

Are you sure? Virial theorem was proven under the assumption that the expectation values of kinetic and potential energy were to be taken w.r.t the stationary states, that is the H eigenstate. In fact ## <U-T> = \frac{\omega \hbar}{2}<a^{+2}+a^2>## which in general does not vanish if there are one or more pair of eigenstates in the superposition state which differ in the quantum number by 2.

Why have you assumed that ##<T>_{mn} = 0## for ##m\neq n##?

Yes, you're correct. I took "always" to mean "for any combination" of states. Not "for any time". I've edited my post to clarify.

For harmonic oscillator and any time, ##\langle m|T|n\rangle = -\hbar \omega/4 \langle m|a^{+2}-a^+a-aa^++a^2|n\rangle## is in general nonzero.

Likes PeroK

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object has based on its position or state. It is the energy that an object has the potential to convert into other forms of energy.

2. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a type of energy that an object has when it is in motion, and it is directly related to the object's mass and velocity.

3. How are potential and kinetic energy related?

Potential and kinetic energy are interrelated and can be converted into each other. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy when an object is in motion, and kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy when an object is at rest.

4. How are average values of operators of potential and kinetic energy determined?

The average value of an operator is found by taking the sum of all possible values of the operator multiplied by the probability of each value occurring. For potential and kinetic energy, this involves taking into account all possible positions and velocities of the object.

5. Why are average values of operators of potential and kinetic energy important in science?

Average values of operators of potential and kinetic energy are important because they provide a way to quantify and analyze the behavior of particles and systems in terms of energy. They also allow for predictions to be made about the behavior of these particles and systems, leading to a better understanding of physical phenomena.