Bad Summer Placements? How to Avoid Them

• Thread starter streeters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary, the conversation is about a difficult experience on a summer placement at a synchrotron. The speaker is renting a room from a woman who has strict rules and also babysits dogs, causing discomfort. This has led to the speaker leaving the placement early. The moral of the story is to not do placements in a country where one does not speak the language.
streeters
Oh god I'm on a summer placement at a synchrotron and it has quickly turned into a hellish experience.

I rent a room from a woman (who lives in the house too) and she is crazy. Once she got my rent money up-front, she started laying down all these rules like:
*I'm not allowed to speak in my room
*I'm not allowed to walk around too much in my room
*I'm only allowed half a shelf in the fridge
etc.

I was taking a shower the other day, and as soon as she heard me start the shower she turned off the boiler. The water goes cold a minute later, so i go to see what is wrong with the boiler and she starts complaining that I use too much water. (i only have one shower a day).

And what I didn't know until after I moved in is that she babysits dogs. I get home and there a 3 dogs running around and jumping on me. They stayed for over a month. The whole house smells of dog urine. Argh.

I've had enough now and am leaving. It means that I've had to finish my placement 3 weeks early because I couldn't find alternative accommodation.

MORAL OF STORY: don't do placements in a country where you don't speak the language. Would have been so much easier to arrange alternative accommodation had I stayed in the UK.

Physics news on Phys.org
C'est la France.

Related to Bad Summer Placements? How to Avoid Them

1. What are some common mistakes that can lead to a bad summer placement?

Some common mistakes that can lead to a bad summer placement include not properly researching the company or position, not having a clear understanding of the job responsibilities, and not communicating effectively with your supervisor or team members. Other factors such as not being proactive, not asking for help when needed, and not taking initiative can also contribute to a negative experience.

2. How can I avoid a bad summer placement?

To avoid a bad summer placement, it is important to thoroughly research the company and position before accepting the offer. Make sure you have a clear understanding of the job responsibilities and expectations. Communicate effectively with your supervisor and team members, and be proactive in seeking out opportunities to learn and contribute. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help when needed and take initiative to make the most out of your placement.

3. Is it important to set goals for my summer placement?

Yes, setting goals for your summer placement is important as it can help guide your actions and ensure that you are making the most out of your experience. Set both short-term and long-term goals that align with your career aspirations and regularly assess your progress towards achieving them.

4. How can I make the most out of my summer placement?

To make the most out of your summer placement, it is important to have a positive attitude, be open to learning and trying new things, and take on challenges. Build relationships with your colleagues and seek out opportunities to network and gain new skills. Reflect on your experiences and ask for feedback to continuously improve and make the most out of your placement.

5. What should I do if I am unhappy with my summer placement?

If you are unhappy with your summer placement, it is important to communicate your concerns with your supervisor or a mentor. They may be able to offer guidance or make adjustments to improve your experience. If the situation does not improve, it may be best to speak with your university's career services for advice and potentially explore the option of finding a new placement.