Balancing equations for nickel and chromium oxidation with nitric acid

  • Thread starter Thread starter Emily266
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Emily266
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
A 20.0 gram piece of debris form a crash site was analyzed to determine the percent of nickel in the sample. The major components were chromium (III) and nickel (II). When the sample was oxidized with 50.0 ml of 6.0 M nitric acid, 3.0 grams of nickel (II) nitrate were formed.

a. write the two balanced equations. This is what I don't get
b. what was the mass of the nickel in the sample. I'm good on this part after I have the equation.

thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Emily266 said:
a. write the two balanced equations. This is what I don't get

Don't feel alone, I don't get it too. At least in theory Cr can be oxidized to chromate, but I don't know if that'll happen. And as the question states that the sample contained Cr(III) and Ni(II) further oxidation wasn't necessary.

I suppose that it was meant to be "The major components were chromium and nickel".

Note, that even not having reaction equation you can still calculate percentage of nickel in the sample.
 
Borek said:
Note, that even not having reaction equation you can still calculate percentage of nickel in the sample.


Thank you. I'm sorry but I don't quite see how to find the percent of Ni.:confused:
 
EPIPHANY! could these work as the equations??:

Cr + HNO3 -> Cr(NO3)3 + H2 and
Ni + HNO3 -> Ni(NO3)2 + H2