Batch Distillation: Packing vs Plates for Reboiler of 250 Litres

  • Thread starter Thread starter abhijeetrana
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Batch Distillation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
abhijeetrana
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I need to know a few things. I am doing my internship and have been given a problem with very limited information. I have to decide whether to use packing or plates. The tower is to be used for several different mixtures. So everytime it has to be washed completely, whenever a new separation is to be done. So the internals of the tower have to be as such that they can be washed easily so that there is NO CROSS CONTAMINATION. And there is cost limit too. Cant afford a too expensive column too beacuse it is not a big thing. It is for a reboiler of 250 litres. Any suggestion?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know, do you think a plate column has a higher efficiency in doing the distillation?
 
Easier to clean packing than plates I would have thought.
 
If the column packing can be easily removed between distillations and replaced with fresh packing (while the old packing is being prepared for the next batch), it would seem that the packed column would be the easier route. Column packing is usually not too expensive and should be able to be easily cleaned (solvent rinse followed by drying) and stored for the next run.